Combination of Text and Flowchart based Procedures

roadhouse

Involved In Discussions
Hi all,

Wondering if the guys and gals here could settle an argument please?

My Quality Manager has asked me to compile some new procedures and has requested that they be text based. Now, the Engineering Manager has got involved and wants the procedures to include a flowchart for each step in the procedure.

My argument is that we should choose one format or the other, but not a combination of the two. I believe it's pointless having procedures presented in two different formats within a single document as this could lead to confusion. I advocate keeping it simple.

I understand that ISO 9000 does not specify which format to use, but surely a combination of the two would make the procedures burdensome?

Is there an accepted 'in practice' convention regarding this issue? What do you guys come across most often?

Thanks in advance.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Hi all,

Wondering if the guys and gals here could settle an argument please?

My Quality Manager has asked me to compile some new procedures and has requested that they be text based. Now, the Engineering Manager has got involved and wants the procedures to include a flowchart for each step in the procedure.

My argument is that we should choose one format or the other, but not a combination of the two. I believe it's pointless having procedures presented in two different formats within a single document as this could lead to confusion. I advocate keeping it simple.

I understand that ISO 9000 does not specify which format to use, but surely a combination of the two would make the procedures burdensome?

Is there an accepted 'in practice' convention regarding this issue? What do you guys come across most often?

Thanks in advance.
:) Flowchart with relevant Text and pictures perhaps in a 3 column style can make an excellent procedure.
Flowchart --- Description --- Output

H

Hodgepodge

I like using the combination flow chart/text style for procedures and instructions. The flow chart is the procedure in a nut shell. There are plenty of processes where what to do next is determined by the classic answer, "It depends". These "It depends" scenarios don't always lend themselves to succinct, flow chart style descriptions. This is where the text description is a benefit.

The text is very useful for training purposes, for explaining things that rarely need to be done, and for the more complicated "It depends" situations. When employees become familiar with the process, the flow chart can be used as one would use a checklist. It can be referenced if needed to make sure all the steps have been completed.

I think this would only be confusing to the user that just wants to skim/scan the procedure without actually having to think. Some processes are just too complex for the skim/scanner to be effective. In these cases, training in the process should also include training with the document.

Peter Fraser

Trusted Information Resource
I don't see any point in adding a flowchart onto the end of a narrative procedure (as often done when ISO9001:2000 first appeared) - you then have two things to update, and sooner or later they will get out of step. Which is why we do it our own way with the graphics separated from the text - see example attached.

Attachments

• Advanced_chart.png
    Advanced_chart.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 476
S

silentrunning

We use a combination of the two. It is a little more added work for me, but it seems to help in the shop. We have several employees who are somewhat English language challenged and the flow charts seem to keep them on track better than written instructions. Maybe a picture IS worth a thousand words. :tg:

B

Bogie

I've used a combo of the two. However, I have made the flowchart more general, not for each step. The Document Control flow chart has 9 steps even though the written procedure is 7 pages long - not including the 1/2 page the flow chart takes up (don't get me started on if I had the authority to make it shorter!).

I also place the flowchart at the beginning of the procedure, so those that are more familiar and just need a reminder, can look at that first. It also seems to help noobees keep track of where they are going, and not get lost in the detail.

roadhouse

Involved In Discussions
We use a combination of the two. It is a little more added work for me, but it seems to help in the shop. We have several employees who are somewhat English language challenged and the flow charts seem to keep them on track better than written instructions. Maybe a picture IS worth a thousand words. :tg:

That's good idea, not thought of the language barrier before. :agree1:

roadhouse

Involved In Discussions
I don't see any point in adding a flowchart onto the end of a narrative procedure (as often done when ISO9001:2000 first appeared) - you then have two things to update, and sooner or later they will get out of step. Which is why we do it our own way with the graphics separated from the text - see example attached.

Nice flowchart there Peter, what application did you use to create it?

roadhouse

Involved In Discussions
I've used a combo of the two. However, I have made the flowchart more general, not for each step. The Document Control flow chart has 9 steps even though the written procedure is 7 pages long - not including the 1/2 page the flow chart takes up (don't get me started on if I had the authority to make it shorter!).

I also place the flowchart at the beginning of the procedure, so those that are more familiar and just need a reminder, can look at that first. It also seems to help noobees keep track of where they are going, and not get lost in the detail.

That's a good idea, i like your rational for including both formats. i think i'm going to steal your idea! :agree1:

Top Bottom