Definition Predictive vs. Preventive Maintenance - TS 16949 Clause 7.5.1 - Definitions of

S

Stevenli

Dear all,

how to understand predictive maintenance in TS2 7.5.1? what's the difference with preventive maintenance? and the most important is how to implement it?

Thank you very much
steven

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
An old post for starters:

Posted by Roger Eastin on Monday, 27 October 1997, at 5:16 p.m., in response to Predictive maintenance methods, posted by Felix cruz on Tuesday, 21 October 1997, at 3:06 p.m.

Predictive maintenance methods mentioned in the QS9 standard are identified by the type of equipment you are operating. If you have machinery that uses items such as gear boxes, then you should consider having vibration analysis done on them (if they are considered key manufacturing equipment). Here the analysis would detect gear wear or possible fractures of the gears. If you have equipment that uses control boards which contain electronic circuits, then you need to look at IR testing of the circuits. This analysis would detect "hot spots" on the circuit which may mean that a component is beginning to break down. If the equipment you are running uses lubricating fluids such as oil, then you would look at using a lab to do fluid analysis. Here you would look for oil breakdown or contamination levels. If your equipment uses perishable tooling such as drill or milling bits, you would set up a program to measure tool wear to anticipate failure. For the first three methods, outside companies can do this. You could probably do this last one. (You could even track MTBF of these parts in order to improve wear by using different vendors, different coatings of bits,etc.)

E

energy

Ts2?

Stevenli said:
Dear all,

how to understand predictive maintenance in TS2 7.5.1? what's the difference with preventive maintenance? and the most important is how to implement it?

Thank you very much
steven

Steven,

"Predictive" seems, to me, another term for "Preventive". If you have a Preventive Maintenance "Process", I wouldn't sweat it. Another standard making its presence known by changing the accepted terminolgy? :bonk:

C

Craig H.

energy said:
Steven,

"Predictive" seems, to me, another term for "Preventive". If you have a Preventive Maintenance "Process", I wouldn't sweat it. Another standard making its presence known by changing the accepted terminolgy? :bonk:

At the risk of spouting gobbledygook (sp?) here is my take on it.

Predictive maintenance is indeed preventive maintenance, but all preventive maintenance is not predictive. In other words, predictive uses data gathered from the equipment (wear, vibration, etc.) to optimize the interval between instances of a specific maintenance task.

For instance: Why shut down right now to do prev. maint., when predict. maintenance (data gathered) tells us we can go another 100 hours?

Or: It does not matter what the manual says, the oil analysis tells us that the main bearings are toast, and if we don't shut down now, we will be replacing more than bearings... (wham!!! chunka chunka).

JMO

Craig

Reactions: db
D

db

Craig H. said:
At the risk of spouting gobbledygook (sp?) here is my take on it.

Predictive maintenance is indeed preventive maintenance, but all preventive maintenance is not predictive. In other words, predictive uses data gathered from the equipment (wear, vibration, etc.) to optimize the interval between instances of a specific maintenance task.

For instance: Why shut down right now to do prev. maint., when predict. maintenance (data gathered) tells us we can go another 100 hours?

Or: It does not matter what the manual says, the oil analysis tells us that the main bearings are toast, and if we don't shut down now, we will be replacing more than bearings... (wham!!! chunka chunka).

JMO

Craig

I've had companies that have used MTBF and other measures as part of their predictive maintenance program. Does this fit in as well in your definition Craig?

C

Craig H.

db said:
I've had companies that have used MTBF and other measures as part of their predictive maintenance program. Does this fit in as well in your definition Craig?

Without a doubt...

E

energy

I buy that

Craig H. said:

Craig

Let's take my car as an example. The manufacturer requires that I change the oil every 3K miles. Should I analyze the oil and based on the results, extend the intervals an extra 1 or 2 K miles? Do I know more than the equipment manufacturer? And, do I spend big bucks on analysis vs. following the Manufacturer's recommendations. I don't know. If the Customer requires it, charge them more per unit? :vfunny:

D

db

energy said:
Let's take my car as an example. The manufacturer requires that I change the oil every 3K miles. Should I analyze the oil and based on the results, extend the intervals an extra 1 or 2 K miles? Do I know more than the equipment manufacturer? And, do I spend big bucks on analysis vs. following the Manufacturer's recommendations. I don't know. If the Customer requires it, charge them more per unit? :vfunny:

My thinking:

If you change your oil, based on the manufacturer's requirements, then it would be preventive

If you change your oil, based on the analsis of the oil then it would be predictive.

The question is should we really worry about the difference?

R

Randy Stewart

For the example of the oil change, no don't worry about it. However, when looking at high speed bearings, older equipment (i.e. stamping presses) the oil sampling is a great idea. The OEM may state that a main bearing should last 2000 hrs of operation. If I know that I operate at the high end of the operating envelope (over tonnage, faster cycles, etc.) I want to have my hydraulic oil sampled. It may alert me to other issues as well, oil contamination, heat, etc.
OEM recommendations are based on testing an field feedback under "normal" operating conditions. Depending on some of the other factors, age, operation environment, etc. the need for other means of "predicting" maintenance may be necessary.

E

energy

Getting clearer by the hour

Randy Stewart said:
For the example of the oil change, no don't worry about it. However, when looking at high speed bearings, older equipment (i.e. stamping presses) the oil sampling is a great idea. The OEM may state that a main bearing should last 2000 hrs of operation. If I know that I operate at the high end of the operating envelope (over tonnage, faster cycles, etc.) I want to have my hydraulic oil sampled. It may alert me to other issues as well, oil contamination, heat, etc.
OEM recommendations are based on testing an field feedback under "normal" operating conditions. Depending on some of the other factors, age, operation environment, etc. the need for other means of "predicting" maintenance may be necessary.

I guess if I'm using the equipment at the edge of its operating parameters, I can expect earlier failures. I would be looking for alternative equipment that can operate the way I want it to without "pushing the envelope. But I understand the idea behind it and if I can do that, then Stevenli certainly can! :vfunny:

Top Bottom