The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Using a Wiki to implement a Quality Management System (QMS) - Page 32

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Standards Organization - ISO Standards and Information

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags (Not all threads are Tagged)
collaboration, document control, knowledge management, qms (quality management system), iso 9001 - quality management systems, software (general topics), documents and documentation (general), wiki (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #249  
Old 1st March 2017, 01:06 PM
skreis

Total Posts: 1
Re: Using a Wiki to implement a Quality Management System (QMS)

I am late to joining this Wiki QMS party, but I wanted to chime in on our success with using a WIKI to manage our QMS. We implemented TWIKI as our platform in 2008 and have been rolling with it ever since. Originally we were registered to ISO - our current registration is AS9100 C. There was lots learned along the way but for the most part it was relatively easy to feel our way along. Our registrars and auditors have all bought in and support the platform.

If I had to do it today I might not use TWIKI- the system has become somewhat stagnant the last few years - but without a doubt I believe a WIKI implementation of Quality documentation is the way to go.

I am happy to answer specific questions if you would like some feedback. Good luck!
Thanks to skreis for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #250  
Old 1st March 2017, 02:53 PM
Pancho

Total Posts: 791

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by kdjohannes View Post

A lot of our Customer Service Engineer's are not allowed internet access on site due to extremely high security of our customers. Do you know of a good offline feature that could allow the downloading of docs? Do Wikis offer this? I would like to stay away from the downloading of a doc because then it could possibly be old. Not to mention some techs do not know what procedures they need until on site, so VPNing to get a doc is not really possible. I know this situation is somewhat unique but there has to be a solution out there (I'm looking into the G Suite option and it seems that Docs/Drive has an offline feature...but I know this is a Wiki thread!! ).
I'm not sure I understand. If the engineers don't know what they will need, wouldn't offline browsing require downloading the whole wiki? Wikis might not offer this feature directly, but it seems an easy, if a bit impractical, requirement. Copy the whole terabyte of a database? Small portable disks can easily hold that several times over.

Any time you copy from the wiki (or any other repository of your system's documents, such as G Suite), be it the whole thing or only a document, you've created either an uncontrolled copy or a record. Make sure your personnel know how to handle to avoid misuse.

We often work at remote construction sites without internet. With or without internet, though, as part of our deliverables to the client, we prepare an "installation manual" that contains all procedures that are anticipated to be required at the site. But the procedures are copies or even adaptations of the live ones in our QMS. Once delivered, such manual is a record of the project. The live procedure may continue to improve in the wiki, but the record stays as it was delivered or approved, except when specifically revised through an agreed upon change. And despite it perhaps being not the most current info, the record is what we use at the subject site.
Sponsored Links

Post Number #251  
Old 1st March 2017, 03:13 PM
Pancho

Total Posts: 791

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by skreis View Post

I am late to joining this Wiki QMS party, but I wanted to chime in on our success with using a WIKI to manage our QMS. We implemented TWIKI as our platform in 2008 and have been rolling with it ever since. Originally we were registered to ISO - our current registration is AS9100 C. There was lots learned along the way but for the most part it was relatively easy to feel our way along. Our registrars and auditors have all bought in and support the platform.

If I had to do it today I might not use TWIKI- the system has become somewhat stagnant the last few years - but without a doubt I believe a WIKI implementation of Quality documentation is the way to go.

I am happy to answer specific questions if you would like some feedback. Good luck!
Thanks, Skreis!

ProjectForum, the engine that we are on, has also stagnated over the last few years. Coincidentally, today we received a notice from the developer that he's discontinuing the product shortly, so we will be looking to port our content to another wiki. We started running ProjectForum almost exactly 10 years ago, in April of 2007. It was a good run. I'm definitely not looking forward to the move.
  Post Number #252  
Old 2nd March 2017, 10:24 AM
kdjohannes

Total Posts: 9

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Pancho View Post

I'm not sure I understand. If the engineers don't know what they will need, wouldn't offline browsing require downloading the whole wiki? Wikis might not offer this feature directly, but it seems an easy, if a bit impractical, requirement. Copy the whole terabyte of a database? Small portable disks can easily hold that several times over.

Any time you copy from the wiki (or any other repository of your system's documents, such as G Suite), be it the whole thing or only a document, you've created either an uncontrolled copy or a record. Make sure your personnel know how to handle to avoid misuse.

We often work at remote construction sites without internet. With or without internet, though, as part of our deliverables to the client, we prepare an "installation manual" that contains all procedures that are anticipated to be required at the site. But the procedures are copies or even adaptations of the live ones in our QMS. Once delivered, such manual is a record of the project. The live procedure may continue to improve in the wiki, but the record stays as it was delivered or approved, except when specifically revised through an agreed upon change. And despite it perhaps being not the most current info, the record is what we use at the subject site.
I guess offline browsing would require a download of the entire thing! Not ideal I know...I was wondering if there was a wiki software that worked in a browser or maybe was an installable software on a PC where it downloads content (similar to how a dropbox or google drive desktop app works). I think my question may be null and void if we use G Suite since it is capable of being accessed offline.

Good thought on creating a procedure on how to handle downloadable content - an issue we have now is not having the most current doc because it was whatever pdf was downloaded last time.

That manual idea is also cool. I'm not sure if we do that now (I don't deal with customers often), but it would be a good thing to start because of the benefits you stated.
Thanks to kdjohannes for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates