How detailed should an equipment maintenance record made by engineer be?

D

darkafar

Our equipment engineer writes a maintenance instruction for every machine for both the operators and himself. The operator’s maintenance content is for daily and weekly maintenance. The engineer’s maintenance content is for monthly, quarterly, and yearly maintenance. We also have Monthly Maintenance, Quarterly Maintenance, and Yearly Maintenance forms for each machine.

My opinion is that:
1. The maintenance content for operators should be separated from the maintenance content for engineers, as one work instruction containing different material might confuse the operators.
2. The equipment engineers don’t need a work instruction to do his/her maintenance, because he/she is supposed to be an expert, and should know what is best for the machine, and if he must write a work instruction to follow when maintaining, the work instruction would inhibit his ability to adjust maintenance method to suit the circumstance.
3. The Monthly Maintenance, Quarterly Maintenance, and Yearly Maintenance forms are unnecessary, because their purpose is to serve as tool to remind the engineer what need to be done, and we or the auditors can’t say that the equipment engineer used a wrong method to maintain the machine by the record because we are not expert.

So what I want to do is:
1. Cut off the engineer’s maintenance material in the maintenance instruction, and make the maintenance instruction specific to the operators.
2. Write down the engineer’s preventive maintenance schedule on the operator’s maintenance instruction.
3. Replace the Monthly Maintenance, Quarterly Maintenance, and Yearly Maintenance forms, with a general Equipment Log, which record the significant event such as monthly, quarterly, yearly maintenance, and parts change.
4. Arrange the engineer maintenance method into training material to train the equipment engineers, but don’t release them as controlled document.

This is a big change. I remember the last time I wanted to change some department’s document format I lost the right to comment them. So I want to be safe, to see how others view this problem first.

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
This is a big change. I remember the last time I wanted to change some department’s document format I lost the right to comment them. So I want to be safe, to see how others view this problem first.

What is not working, other than a set of instructions that is, in your opinion, too detailed? I don't mean to sound harsh. But as you said - you got cut off when you tried to change something in the past.

The procedure and forms belong to the maintenance department. If they are not meeting some requirements - help them with updating their system. Otherwise - leave it be.

JMHO

56flh

1. The maintenance content for operators should be separated from the maintenance content for engineers, as one work instruction containing different material might confuse the operators.
2. The equipment engineers don’t need a work instruction to do his/her maintenance, because he/she is supposed to be an expert, and should know what is best for the machine, and if he must write a work instruction to follow when maintaining, the work instruction would inhibit his ability to adjust maintenance method to suit the circumstance.
3. The Monthly Maintenance, Quarterly Maintenance, and Yearly Maintenance forms are unnecessary, because their purpose is to serve as tool to remind the engineer what need to be done, and we or the auditors can’t say that the equipment engineer used a wrong method to maintain the machine by the record because we are not expert.

If you do away with maintenance instructions because the engineer should know what needs to be done, what happens if the engineer isn't there?

If you would like to simplify your system could I recommend a software package called COGS (http://www.bit-corp.com/cogz/cogz.htm). It works well in the manufacturing environment.

D

darkafar

What is not working, other than a set of instructions that is, in your opinion, too detailed? I don't mean to sound harsh. But as you said - you got cut off when you tried to change something in the past.

The procedure and forms belong to the maintenance department. If they are not meeting some requirements - help them with updating their system. Otherwise - leave it be.

JMHO

Thanks, I got the solution. I will keep the engineer's maintenance instruction, meanwhile I will push to creat another set of instructions for the operators.

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Thanks, I got the solution. I will keep the engineer's maintenance instruction, meanwhile I will push to create another set of instructions for the operators.

I find your system and reasoning interesting.

In my opinion, maintenance instructions should be machine specific. What you need to do daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly. How the maintenance department chooses to divide their work is their problem. I will hold the head of that department responsible for any problems.

If you start dividing work instructions and indirectly, responsibilities, very soon there will be finger pointing when breakdowns occur because there will definitely be GREY areas in existence.

We are not in the business of building multi-storey buildings, therefore too many sets of WI should be avoided. On the other hand, it should be practical. If you need one for each machine or type of machine, so be it because maintenance WI usually remain unchanged as long as that machine is in use.

D

darkafar

I find your system and reasoning interesting.

In my opinion, maintenance instructions should be machine specific. What you need to do daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly. How the maintenance department chooses to divide their work is their problem. I will hold the head of that department responsible for any problems.

If you start dividing work instructions and indirectly, responsibilities, very soon there will be finger pointing when breakdowns occur because there will definitely be GREY areas in existence.

We are not in the business of building multi-storey buildings, therefore too many sets of WI should be avoided. On the other hand, it should be practical. If you need one for each machine or type of machine, so be it because maintenance WI usually remain unchanged as long as that machine is in use.
Our operator's instruction is still machine specific. There shall be 5s content added in, as well as early signs of machine breakdown. I want to gradually transform the machine maintenance responsibility to the operators. For as I see, the equipment engineers, who only maintain the machine once every month, is not suitable to take the responsibility.

Another reason I want to separate operator’ maintenance instruction with the engineer’s instruction is that once an auditor complained that our work instruction has too many information and too many is not for the operators.

Top Bottom