Value-Added Analysis - Staff (Employee) Satisfaction

D

dslman

Dear all,
I am in the stage of classifying the staff satisfaction survey steps into real value-adding , organizational value-adding , and non-value adding.
I stucked in the step of review & update the current questionnaire , I could not decide whether it's RVA or OVA.
Any help from your side please.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Value-Added Analysis - Staff Satisfaction

dslman: can you elaborate on what you are trying to accomplish by classifying steps in the survey process? Also 'organizational value add' is a unique term - what is your definition?

D

dslman

Dear all,

I am trying to study the staff satisfaction survey process to identify all possible waste in the process - Organizational value- adding: all activities contribute to the organization’s needs such as scheduling, maintenance, information-handling, accounting, and administrating.

Regards.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator

dslman,

Are you focused on removing waste from the processes that serve current customers or building new capabilities to fulfill the needs of future customers.

...or both?

May I suggest that analyzing your system and your strategy is more likely to yield the results you need than measuring staff satisfaction?

John

D

dslman

Hi John,
Are you focused on removing waste from the processes that serve current customers? Yes

We have to conduct the survey on a yearly basis to evaluate the level of staff satisfaction and identify their needs.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
staff? or Customers? whose staff? please elaborate

why do you have to survey? what needs are you trying to understnd?
why yearly? that isn't very frequent...I am always suspicious of a metric measured so in frequently. We know that something that is measured frequently is seen as important and provides many oppportunities for ccourse correction. for exampe, production is measured daily even hourly and it gets lots of attention...

J

JanHarvay

I want to know more about Organizational value- adding: and how all activities contribute to the organization?s needs such as scheduling, maintenance, information-handling, accounting, and administrating?

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
I want to know more about Organizational value- adding: and how all activities contribute to the organization?s needs such as scheduling, maintenance, information-handling, accounting, and administrating?

Jan,

To prosper in the long term, organizations need to avoid waste in the fulfillment of customer requirements now and in the future.

The organization invests in processes that either:

• Add value for customers
  • Enable value to be added for customers or future customers
Other activities, processes, equipment and inventory tend to grow without constant vigilance. Eliminate this waste and the causes of such waste from the system by 5S or problem solving depending on the nature of the waste.

John

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I wish I could remember which book I read it in (and my library is packed up) I can only recall an author suggesting we not try to build employee satisfaction, but try to not destroy satisfaction.

Assuming people come to work wanting to do well (and I think that is true) and we rely on others in tangible and non-tangible ways to help us succeed, the question becomes what those "ways" are and how to count them.

I think NIST's Baldrige program did the best job of that with their Are We Making Progress? survey.

When looking at the questions and their actionable nature, it might be easy to imagine how to adapt them for customer surveys. But I would keep customer surveys quite a lot shorter, like 5 questions at most. Think hard about what you really want to know from them, make it count.

I hope this helps!

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
I wish I could remember which book I read it in (and my library is packed up) I can only recall an author suggesting we not try to build employee satisfaction, but try to not destroy satisfaction.

Assuming people come to work wanting to do well (and I think that is true) and we rely on others in tangible and non-tangible ways to help us succeed, the question becomes what those "ways" are and how to count them.

I think NIST's Baldrige program did the best job of that with their Are We Making Progress? survey.

When looking at the questions and their actionable nature, it might be easy to imagine how to adapt them for customer surveys. But I would keep customer surveys quite a lot shorter, like 5 questions at most. Think hard about what you really want to know from them, make it count.

I hope this helps!

Jennifer,

Was it Douglas McGregor?

http://www.economist.com/node/12370445

The Human Side of Enterprise?

http://www.amazon.com/Human-Side-Enterprise-Annotated-Edition/dp/0071462228

As insightful today as it was in 1960.

John

Top Bottom