Making a Safety Culture Chart

B

batman1056

I have been given a challenge to develop a chart of some kind that shows the level of safety culture/risk level based upon postive and negative indicators. The challange is to have something that reflects against negative elements (e.g. RIDDOR, Lost Time accidents, Non Lost Time Accidents) and positive proactive elements (e.g. Safety Tours, Inspections, Safety Audits).

Each of the positive and negative elements would have a weighitng e.g. RIDDOR would have a -ive value e.g. -10 and a safety tour would be a +itve value e.g. +1

I am looking for examples or ideas on how to represent safety as a single value. The resulting table should allow top managment to understand the higher the negative value of the total the more probable a major incident would occur.

I did create a speed dial that moved depending on the values - but this was too difficult to normalise. Hence the question. We already have seperate indicators and charts for each of the seperate KPIs (e.g. no of accidents) but I would like to develp a holistic overview sliding chart or something :confused: --- any help appreciated.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
Normalization / Creation of Indexes is indeed difficult! Why not avoid all that and go to an SPC-based Balanced Scorecard? Keep the leading and lagging indicators grouped together and get a big picture overview. In the midst of doing that at Savannah River and also Chalk River nuclear sites. Employee surveys can also be trended by SPC and included as a leading indicator. See http://www.wmsym.org/archives/2007/pdfs/7148.pdf

B

batman1056

Thanks - we have a BSC system in place too with the monthly report showing the clean split between leading and lagging. The last HS Manager put in the safety plan that we would produce a single chart showing the current level of safety and the level of risk probability - he then left without defining out how this would be achieved. I have managed to develop something which sort of works – I will keep trying to figure out the short-term and long term weighting elements. The ideal situation was to have -1 as being the worst case and +1 being we are no danger of anything happening (major) so the value produced would be something in the middle e.g -0.0234

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
Perhaps there is a reason the last safety manager left. Very easy to TALK about setting up a single metric, very hard if not impossible in practice.

Closest I've come is using z-score summed indexes, but generally have always found them hard to explain, and am worried about the trade off of, say, 100 observations is worth one reportable injury.

KRAB BC

Registered
it is possible to measure the safety culture but not as a one dimension , instead a collective criteria. Each criteria can be measured by a specific individual and all criteria can be populated together. Similar to a Radar chart. Criteria are measurables Viz: Participate, Communicate, Initiate corrective actions. Navigate ( Sustain the gains), and as much possible the last criteria can be specific to an organisation . may be for some it is Digitisation that connects with all records, documentation, issues updation etc in the company ERP System. It works well.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
it is possible to measure the safety culture but not as a one dimension , instead a collective criteria. Each criteria can be measured by a specific individual and all criteria can be populated together. Similar to a Radar chart. Criteria are measurables Viz: Participate, Communicate, Initiate corrective actions. Navigate ( Sustain the gains), and as much possible the last criteria can be specific to an organisation . may be for some it is Digitisation that connects with all records, documentation, issues updation etc in the company ERP System. It works well.
It is certainly "possible". But an issue is if one component is increasing and another is decreasing, then they wipe each other out. You could do something similar to a chi-square that would be sensitive to changes in either direction in the components, and then drill down to see which components were trending. BUT I HIGHLY RECOMMEND - learning how to trend and analyze a single component prior to taking on mixtures of components.

SPC charts are VERY QUICK to overview, having several dozen components trended by SPC will provide a quick overview of performance.

KRAB BC

Registered
It is certainly "possible". But an issue is if one component is increasing and another is decreasing, then they wipe each other out. You could do something similar to a chi-square that would be sensitive to changes in either direction in the components, and then drill down to see which components were trending. BUT I HIGHLY RECOMMEND - learning how to trend and analyze a single component prior to taking on mixtures of components.

SPC charts are VERY QUICK to overview, having several dozen components trended by SPC will provide a quick overview of performance.
IF one component is increasing and the other decreasing - So what. The culture at any organisation is similar to a wedding function wherein the focus by all ( positive thoughts), is to make the couple live happily and bless them, connect to the make the function happen. In addition, avoid obnoxious moments. So, culture is similar to that moment. Make it happen positively. Having said that, if something wrong happens it is fact of life but we capture it as a part of deceleration to a good moment. The culture is similar to a beating of a heart, sometimes it expand and sometimes it contracts. But, the fact of the matter is the heart has to be in movement. The radar diagram is similar to a heart beat expansion and contraction. But, by making it visual as per your criteria, we see it. on a scale value of 1-5, with a least count of 0.25, we allow each limb to shrink and expand with right causes for it. i will vote for culture in an organisation to be a function of Change management , that should be similar to a heart.

Top Bottom