What Process will ensure defect detection?

B

behoops

Got this from a customer, "To ensure defect detection, we do not consider inspection a permanent action. What in your process will ensure defect detection." I understand changing, improving the process to limit or eliminate a defect, but how can you detect a defect without inspection?

Guess i am just dumb. Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cheryl mcguire - 2008

Hi,
It is my understanding they want defect preventation that is a way to stop the defect from happening. I do not get what he said because detention is after the fact and you have to inspect it out. Unless you can put in some Poke yokes to detect.
Good luck to you,
Cheryl

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Got this from a customer, "To ensure defect detection, we do not consider inspection a permanent action. What in your process will ensure defect detetion." I understand changing, improving the process to limit or eliminate a defect, but how can you detect a defect without inspection?

Guess i am just dumb. Please help.

It appears that the person making the request did indeed mean "prevention" rather than "detection." You should ask for clarification.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
going with the phrase "defect detection" but without using "inspection" (inferring that your customer means inspection by humans) I will assume that your Customer is not referring to elimination (root cause corrective actions) and is probably not referring to process controls such as SPC which will detect trends and shifts and alert you to possible defects. This leaves only mistake proofing 'inspection' devices. Not sure if your Customer woudl accept visual inspection systems under their definition or not. They aren't always mistake proof.

A search on mistake proofing and poke yoke will yield you excellent ideas and resources...

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
"To ensure defect detection, we do not consider inspection a permanent action. What in your process will ensure defect detetion."

Now - I gotta ask the question - is this a typo (the bold and underscored word), or were you trying to convey "containment" of defects?

If it's a typo, I think you just gave yourself the answer. As long as imperfect beings are making product, providing services, etc., you will always have defects. The key is to eliminate as many potential errors as possible.

B

Benjamin28

If the defect gets past your inspection process, then the customer will surely complain and voila, you have detected the defect!

I'm not sure I understand their statement either, but it surely makes more sense if detection is changed to prevention...in that case it's your quality practices, spc, inspection, process audits, customer NCRs..etc that will improve prevention.

B

behoops

Typo "detection" is the correct word. I agree that our key is to eliminate potential errors. How do I answer this customer with a process that detects defects without inspection?

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Typo "detection" is the correct word. I agree that our key is to eliminate potential errors. How do I answer this customer with a process that detects defects without inspection?

mistake proofing or poke yoke test devices is the only way - if we are interpreting the comment correctly. without knowledge of your products, processes and defect types we cannot provide specific for you to formulate a coherent answer. you can search teh internet for mistake proofing and poke yoke and find TONS of info on this that will match your specific needs

R

ralphsulser

To expand on Bev's post this is one of our processes.
We have some poka yoka automated in line which checks every part going through the CNC machining process for ID and other characteristics. If a part is not in spec it is automatically pushed into a chute to take it outside the process flow. I wish we had it on all dimensions, but glad to have some.

This is one way to prevent defects.

A

andygr

I agree with Benjamin28
If you want garenteed detection count on your customer to find the one part out of 1 mil that is just the slightest out of spec.
:bonk:

Top Bottom