Problem with deleting vendors in Visual Manufacturing

A

aoschuck

I'm an assitant to our resident System Administrator and we're trying to delete old vendors in the sytem, but it mentions that there are "Material Requirements associated with this vendor." and cannot delete. We've searched through the database, and all we found were previous work orders that used the product provided by the vendor. When we checked work orders, we found that all orders were finished through the Engineering Master a long, long time ago. Then, we checked inventory and according to the Engineering Master, all remnants of this product povided by the vendor are gone.

Please, please help!
Thank you =)
-Andrea

Scott Catron

True Artisan
Super Moderator
Re: cannot delete vendors in Visual Manufacturing

Why delete them? Can you mark them as inactive instead?

A

aoschuck

We're working on a Plant Relocation Project (closing down one plant and moving all existing inventory to our plant) and need to match vendors and customers so that there's no duplicate of a company. Apparently, the company wants to erase all previous, negligible records from the sytem and start new.

A

aoschuck

I know, wouldn't it?! The thing is, I haven't checked in to it (mainly because this problem arose just yesterday) and I'd hate to get in trouble for any billing charges from Lilly Software's technical support center. Haha. (But, it looks as if that may be the only road to take.)

I spoke with the Administrator, and you're right, Scott. We could mark them as inactive, but there are close to 2,000 inactive vendors and we'd like to clear up that dead space.

Right now, I'm looking for specific-type information to clear the problem as quickly and efficiently as will be possible with nearly 2,000 unsolvable cases.

Thank you!

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Are you looking to save disk space by reducing the size of the database, or is it an issue of not wanting them to appear in listings and such?

I don't have an answer as I'm not familiar with that specific software. I'm just curious.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I'm an assitant to our resident System Administrator and we're trying to delete old vendors in the sytem, but it mentions that there are "Material Requirements associated with this vendor." and cannot delete. We've searched through the database, and all we found were previous work orders that used the product provided by the vendor. When we checked work orders, we found that all orders were finished through the Engineering Master a long, long time ago. Then, we checked inventory and according to the Engineering Master, all remnants of this product povided by the vendor are gone.

Please, please help!
Thank you =)
-Andrea

Is there an easy way to delete the old work orders?

W

wmarhel

It isn't uncommon to find open work orders, routings or inventory transactions that are still open. The problem stems from people either not closing them when completed, they were wrong entries to begin with and someone backed out incorrectly, or a system hiccup. The sad part is that no one did anything about them when the problem would have arisen during a physical inventory or financial closing.

Look for material transactions for those part numbers, or run a "where used" report. If no transactions occurred within the past year or two, then there is a good chance that a part number might be a good candidate to eliminate from the system.

Also, look for what is referred to as a "Phantom Part Number". This is typically used to identify a sub-assembly that is not stocked or purchased. It is useless IMHO as there is no value to it in the world of Lean. These phantom part numbers could have had work orders created for them in the past.

Wayne

Top Bottom