Printed Circuit Board Assembly and Components FAI Question

V

ViableNick

Quick question concerning FAI.

A co-worker has been tasked with conducting an FAI. In the past I was the one doing them.

A question was forwarded my way and I thought I knew the answer but would like some clarification.

We design and manufacture custom power supplies.

My co-worker seems to think the when doing the FAI on the sub assemblies (Printed circuit boards loaded with components) that all the components (resistors etc) should be detailed in the FAIR.

I think that only components that are mentioned with a note on the drawing should be included.

Am I right or wrong ?

L

LesPiles

Hello !

What does your internal procedure says ?
If no procedure, what standard do you try to comply to ?
My point of view is you should apply your FAI to the populated circuit board (eg you should view the board as a component). To check special characteristics might be a good idea too.
Also welcome to Covers from Quebec :)

Hope this helps ... :)

LesPiles

V

ViableNick

We are conducting the FAI per AS9102 due to customer flow down requirements.

I understand viewing the populated board as a component, and verifying special characteristics, that's how i've done them in the past. Coming in to the QA game only 4 years ago I was told to verify any and all notes and requirements outlined on the drawing. The question relates to the individual components on the boards. The person now doing the FAIs seems to think that all these individual parts need to be verified to make sure they are the proper parts and installed correctly and document all of this on Form 3. To me this does not make sense, this is a QC task that should be completed prior to the FAI.
I have compiled FAIs for some of our customers who are some of the bigger players in the industry and never did they come back with any negative responses.

A

andygr

"My co-worker seems to think the when doing the FAI on the sub assemblies (Printed circuit boards loaded with components) that all the components (resistors etc) should be detailed in the FAIR"
Your coworker is correct. AS9102 is a verification to design.

"To me this does not make sense, this is a QC task that should be completed prior to the FAI."
Then why do you not have QC complete the form 3 for you if you do not want to do it at each step of the process?
Some shops release the FAI package with the production shop order and have it completed by those on the production floor as it moves through the assembly process.
Some shops have an inspector follow the process all the way through and record the data.
In the case were the production folks enter the data you would then review the submited FAI package for compliance and if there is any problem found issue the request for a new FAI or a delta to cover those items that failed or were not in compliance with design.
:2cents:

V

ViableNick

From what I understand then, if a particular subassembly has over 1000 parts on it all these parts need to be documented on Form 3 ?

P

PaulJSmith

Some shops release the FAI package with the production shop order and have it completed by those on the production floor as it moves through the assembly process.
This is how we did it at a large aerospace company I worked for a few years ago. The FAI paperwork followed the work order through the shop, with each part being recorded and stamped by the operator responsible for that process. When finished, the completed FAI was reviewed and signed off (or returned for corrections) by the Quality Engineer assigned to that program.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
From what I understand then, if a particular subassembly has over 1000 parts on it all these parts need to be documented on Form 3 ?
No. How are the boards stuffed ? Pick and place ...
Does your EMS supplier perform an AOI and provide a report ?
This report will form a part of your FAI.
Your PCBA FAI must finally be that it is functionally good, and have good workmanship per IPC standards.

A

andygr

In short Yes
For each of the unique components you will have a C of C on file. Now the item to address is if the right component was placed in the correct location on the PCB. There are many individual methods in used to populate PCB's but as an example if you were to verify that the correct component are loaded into the automatic placement unit and then verify that X number were placed as required and use a template of the placement to verify that they were indeed placed in all the required locations then that would simplyfy/speed things up a bit. The goal of a FAI to AS91002 is not a functional check but a verification of conformance to all the defined variables of the design.
Per Para 1.2 the purpose of the FAI is to give objective evidance that all engineering design and specification requirements are correctly understood, accounted for, verified and recorded.
If you want to perform the FAI to just the notes then all you need to do is get contractual relief from your customer. If they have been accepting what you have done to this point then this would seem to be posable.

S

soldertraining

PCB repair can be much more work than just removing and reattaching components. It requires technicians with certain defined characteristics and training. It requires patience, understanding and deftness. Repair work is a highly labor intensive operation and depends heavily on operator skills and automation. With the advancement of technology, printed circuit board (PCB) designs also get more demanding with advanced technology, involving complicated foot prints, and adding cost to components, incoming inspection of printed circuit boards need to have higher priority which lead to increased costs also.

Top Bottom