Thanks for giving me the opportunity to give a little bit back

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to give a little bit back!

This is an open letter to all Cove readers who have received my musings so gracefully.

I've just finished 3 years as a registered member of the Cove and about 5 or six years as an occasional visitor.

I initially came here because I was so frustrated with the crippled system at ASQ's Forums. There were other forums around, of course, but they were rarely active and most posters specialized in saying stuff like "It worked for me. If it doesn't work for you, you are just incompetent!"

Here, there were folks who obviously knew the rules, but they also had a firm grasp on real life situations.

Some of the stalwarts have moved on because of age and job circumstances; some we've just lost touch with and miss their input.

Sadly, we've also experienced the real life issue of folks having a "meltdown" here as a consequence of the pressures they experienced in their real lives.

The Board of Moderators are a widely diverse group of volunteers who often put in hours every week "behind the scenes." Our hope always is the hope we entrust in the "group mind" being greater than the sum of the parts. Because of them, the browsing experience here is relatively free of spam and personal attacks. Sometimes, folks chafe at what they perceive as censorship. To that, let me comment that our right to swing a fist stops just short of someone's nose. There is a little button in the upper right corner of every post which sends a message to EVERY moderator when we "report a post" - I counsel using the button instead of rising to the bait of a provocative post.

As we respond to requests of "how" or "what" or "why"-- it helps to remember that what works for a mega transnational corporation won't always work for a one man machine shop and vice versa. Similarly, what works for one personality may not work for another. Most importantly, we operate on a world stage and we must put aside our petty biases in support of good quality operations EVERYWHERE.

I'm about to pass a milestone of 5,000 posts. I hope the bulk of them have been equally helpful to the original person requesting help and to many folks who have found the posts using a search. Thanks for indulging my need to pass on any knowledge I have BEFORE it is lost.

I initially came here because I was so frustrated with the crippled system at ASQ's Forums. There were other forums around, of course, but they were rarely active and most posters specialized in saying stuff like "It worked for me. If it doesn't work for you, you are just incompetent!"
That rings a bell. I was frustrated too. When I found what was then known as the Cayman Cove back in -97 or thereabouts, it was a result of a thorough search for something like it. I was very frustrated with the other forums I had previouly found, for exactly the reasons you mention: Low activity and rude people. I assumed that with all those people involved in the quality effort all over the world there simply had to be some kind of forum where we could meet and discuss our mutual woes. Surely, we couldn't all be sitting in our own respective chambers inventing our own wheels? So I searched high and low and finally landed in the Cove... Like you, it took me a good while to become a member, but it has been a haven to me ever since.:agree1:

Sadly, we've also experienced the real life issue of folks having a "meltdown" here as a consequence of the pressures they experienced in their real lives.
Yes, that happens, as life always happens. I have to say though, that at the end of the day, the Cove is and has been a very positive experience.

Most importantly, we operate on a world stage and we must put aside our petty biases in support of good quality operations EVERYWHERE.
Yes. All this input, literally from all over the world is a tremendous asset. Being here for all those years has truly made me grow, both personally and professionally.

I'm about to pass a milestone of 5,000 posts.
Keep them coming, Wes.:applause:

/Claes

A

Atul Khandekar

Wes, Thanks.... and....

Wish you a Very Happy Birthday!:hbday: and many more to come!

Rgds,

- Atul.

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Forums only become successful if there are various people, playing different roles to make it work.

When the discussions get hot, we need moderators (people with experience, knowledge and respect) to step in to control the situation. The recent healthy discussion on PDCA/PPPP is a good example. And Wes, you did a wonderful job - was it because of your white hair (wisdom) or the neutral and fair opinions expressed over the years? Together with a bunch of others playing different roles, you people are responsible to put the cove where it is today (I am sure Marc will readily agree).

Happy birthday and as others put it, we look forward for many '5000' posts in the years ahead.

Regards.

Last edited:

Manix

Get Involved!!!
Trusted Information Resource
Happy Birthday Wes. :beerdive: :rar:

I am relatively young and in-experienced so I hope that I can eventually meet 5000 posts and as part of that help others with what I have learnt.

I have picked up a lot from these forums and I too have managed to put a small amount back........ Keep up the good work, all those involved in running this superb site :thanx:

Q

quality.shesha

Many Many Happy Returns of the Day Wes!!!!!!!

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!

BradM

Leader
Admin
Allow me to say a few words in regards to Wes..

I have not been in the discussion boards long, as I did not know they existed. Quickly I developed the same approach as I have in life: There are a lot of people who know a lot. There are a select few, though, that have the patience and care to be great teachers. Wes is one of those. It's a funny phenon'; people I have not met or talked to that I have garnered a great deal of respect for.

One side note worth mentioning: In Wes' opening thread, he mentioned some dissatisfaction with some of the ASQ forums. That is entirely within his realm to feel that way. However, he is still an avid participant in the ASQ discussion forums. Too, he actively engages in off-the-site activities to improve the ASQ board; to make it better.

Wes and the rest of the gang, thank you for your input, which I learn from everyday.

R

ralphsulser

Wes, Thanks.... and....

Wish you a Very Happy Birthday!:hbday: and many more to come!

Rgds,

- Atul.

I ditto Atul. Wes you have been very kind in providing common sense replys to help "Covers" understand the reasonable way to address issues of commonality for us all who visit.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Happy birthday. I'm grateful for the presence of folks like you, who help to assure that I'm not the oldest person here.:agree1:

Top Bottom