Guidance and/or assistance on Transition to AS9100 Rev D

O

orion1984

We are in the process of upgrading our Quality Management System to meet AS9100 rev D.
Can someone please provide some guidance and/or assistance on what needs to be done.

Thanks.

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Transition to AS9100 Rev D

We are in the process of upgrading our Quality Management System to meet AS9100 rev D.
Can someone please provide some guidance and/or assistance on what needs to be done.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forums! :bigwave:

I'm sure we can help, but that's a pretty generic question. What have you already done? When is your next audit?

In general the steps are these:

1) Get a copy of the standard
2) Do a gap analysis to identify what needs to be addressed to meet the new requirements.
3) Using the information from step 2, develop a plan/schedule to implement actions to meet each gap identified.
4) Update QMS documents and practices to meet the new requirements and verify effectiveness (probably with internal audits).
5) Provide any training that may be appropriate to make relevant people aware of changes to ensure effectiveness of the implementation.

Steps 4 & 5 are probably done simultaneously per the plan/schedule. Results of the activities should be reviewed regularly by leadership to ensure timeliness and effectiveness.

Last edited:

Eredhel

Quality Manager

Something you may not be aware of. You can do your Stage I audit now and use it as a gap analysis and then do your Stage II audit later. There can be a 6 month gap between them if I remember correctly. If you're already at ISO9001 it's a handy approach.

O

orion1984

We are scheduled for a surveillance audit, those are not done in stages.

O

orion1984

Thanks for your response. I am interested in Quality manual and procedure changes.

Eredhel

Quality Manager
We are scheduled for a surveillance audit, those are not done in stages.

You will have to do a Stage I and a Stage II audit prior to initial certification. But you don't have to do them back to back. If I misunderstand the audit requirements for certification, Stage I and II, then I'm sure someone will be able to step in and correct me. Are you already certified to any QMS yet, like ISO 9001?

O

orion1984

We are already certified to AS9100C. I don't think we are required to do Stages 1 & 2 audits to upgrade to rev D.

B

BoardGuy

IAQG has a number of support materials at http://www.sae.org/iaqg/organization/9100.htm

Review Introduction Section 0.1 of 9100D about how it is not the intent of the Standard to imply uniformity of structure, alignment of documentation or use of specific terminology. This is important as you are not required to use the clause structure or verbiage of Revision D in you quality manual, procedures or work instruction. For the quality manual you could add a cross-reference list to the manual showing how the system meets the requirements.

Another important element in Section 0.1 is found on Page 6 (SAE version of 9100), just before Section 0.2. It defines the verb form of “Shall, Should, May and Can” and denotes that information marked as “NOTE” is for guidance in understanding or clarifying the associated requirement. This guidance does not form requirements of the standard unless it is applicable to your business model and organization context.

Big Jim

Admin
There is a very thorough gap analysis worksheet provided by the IAQG on their web site.

www.iaqg.org

On the right hand side near the top you will find a box stating "9100:2016 Support Materials". Click on that.

The Gap Analysis is 2nd from the bottom of the 9100:2016 list.

Top Bottom