Customer wants a Part Material Change - New PPAP required?

Poopsy1084

Registered
I've started doing PPAP for a new automotive job. The customer has decided to go with a different material (we run plastic parts). Will I throw out everything done up this point and start a new one? Or do I just add on to PPAP currently working on? Thanks for your help as I am new to PPAPing. :bigwave:

PM Guy

Registered
I've started doing PPAP for a new automotive job. The customer has decided to go with a different material (we run plastic parts). Will I throw out everything done up this point and start a new one? Or do I just add on to PPAP currently working on? Thanks for your help as I am new to PPAPing. :bigwave:
The bulk of your PPAP (CP, Flow, PFMEA) should be unchanged, but the parts themselves should be made new with the specified material. It would entail new layouts, material properties, AAR, and so forth to comply with the intent of the PPAP manual.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Pretty much agree with PM Guy, the real meat of this change appears to be the DIM and LAB portions of the PPAP, depending on the significance of the material change AND the customer, you may be able to use surrogate data, or an abbreviated PPAP LAB (depending on where you were in the PPAP process at time of matl change), again this varies by OEM and situation, just something to consider...

E

Edustrial

It is better to start all over.

Because if customer wants to change material, first, he has to update drawings, it has to come with an ECN, you will have to submit IMDS and very important, PSW will change as well.

So yes, 4 files out of the 18 will change in your PPAP package.

Top Bottom