The ASQ's CRE and CQM - How valuable are they?

• Thread starter David Bear - 2010
  • Start date
D

David Bear - 2010

:bigwave: I have taken and passed the CQE last June. I am now looking at taking either the CQM or CRE exam next to continue my Quality reeducation. Which certification is more valuable to a person's career? Are there any companies out there that have respect for these certifications (compared to Six Sigma)?

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Re: CRE, CQM - How valuable are they?

Some companies do, some not so much.
I had CQA, CQE, CQM but they expired last winter.
I will be retesting for the CQM and CQE.
As far as the CQA, I think my experience would speak more than a certificate at this point but it definately helped land interviews about 8-10 years ago.

CRE, I think, is very specialized. I haven't worked, or interviewed as far as I know, at any place that would put particular value on that one.

R

ralphsulser

David Bear said:
:bigwave: I have taken and passed the CQE last June. I am now looking at taking either the CQM or CRE exam next to continue my Quality reeducation. Which certification is more valuable to a person's career? Are there any companies out there that have respect for these certifications (compared to Six Sigma)?

If you want respect and the big bucks, then the sought after buzz is a six sigms master balck belt. I haven't seen any job postings lately for a CRE.
Depends on what you want to do with your career moves.

Wesley Richardson

Wes R
Trusted Information Resource
David Bear said:

Hi David,

ASQ renamed the CQM to the CMQ/OE - Certified Manager of Quality / Organizational Excellence.

In the ASQ 2005 Salary Survey, the highest to lowest salary for a given ASQ certification was CRE, CSQE, CQM, CSSBB. Of course, I am always concerned with this survey as to whether there is a cause and result relationship. It may be that the higher salary was not actually related to obtaining the certification. ASQ makes no claims in this regard.

A certification may get you past one round of the interview process, but most likely your history of results and improvements that you have made in your current and prior positions, will be more important in getting the job.

Wes R.

R

ricky-huang

I want to know the result either because I want to get the CQE certificate.
What kind of book I should ref to? Pls advise

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Start here (http://www.asq.org/training-and-certification.html) and be sure to read through all the links, especially the Body of Knowledge for each certificate you seek and the suggested study materials.

If you have specific questions about ASQ certifications, the ASQ staff is VERY responsive in answering them by email.

In addition, you might want to read through the threads about certification in the public ASQ Forum specifically addressing Certification issues at (http://www.asq.org/discussionBoards/forum.jspa?forumID=52)

To comment on the original poster's query:
If you don't already belong to the ASQ, you should consider joining, if only to take advantage of the member discounts for exams and study materials. As part of your membership, try to take advantage of the learning opportunities offered by your local ASQ section. Alas, because of the nature of geography and distribution of members, some sections have many members and lots of education programs, while others are small and kind of neglected. I'm aware of many eager ASQ members who are bummed out because the logistics of attending ASQ section events are impossible to coordinate with work and family obligations.

You should be aware the largest number of NEW certifications at ASQ is for the Certified Six Sigma Black Belt. The Body of Knowledge is pretty good, but the deal breaker for many folks is the requirement of prior completion of a six sigma implementation before being allowed to take the exam. The concept is to marry experience with "book learning" to generate a well-rounded practitioner.

C

Craig H.

It just so happens that the poster posting just before you (Wesley Richardson) may have the answer. I used the Quality Council of Indiana's materials as the MAIN study guide when I was working to get ready for the CQE. It is an excellent study guide, and well worth the investment.

And, no I am not paid by them.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Craig H.

Hi David,

ASQ renamed the CQM to the CMQ/OE - Certified Manager of Quality / Organizational Excellence.

:topic:

So, I should change my business card from "ASQ Certified Quality Manager" to "ASQ Certified Manager of Quality / Organizational Excellence"?

When I recertify in a couple of years, what will the certificate itself say?

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
It just so happens that the poster posting just before you (Wesley) may have the answer. I used the Quality Council of Indiana's materials as the MAIN study guide when I was working to get ready for the CQE. It is an excellent study guide, and well worth the investment.

And, no I am not paid by them.

ditto. I used their materials for all the ASQ exams I took.
And Pyzdek's book on the CQE. I could have done the CQE exam with that as my only "open book".

D

David Bear - 2010

I used my old college textbooks from the 80's for the CQE exam. It worked, but that is definitely not the best way to take the test. I had answers in the book that were sort've like 1 or 2 of the multiple choice answers on the test. I was rarely ever positiove I had the right answer. I later referred to a coworkers' ASQ study material and the answers matched verbatim.

Top Bottom