6 Sigma: Could you share some practical examples of 6 Sigma Projects in your company?

amiuda

Involved In Discussions
HI !
I started a trainning to be 6 Sigma BB, but I am not more than a "white belt" LOL.
I have a some Lean backgroup, that I appreciate a lot, as Lean tools are much easy and quick to apply on the shopfloor.

For me, 6sigma is new, even understang the statistical concepts I feel that is necessay to "translate" everything to figures/numbers, is that right?

For instance a 6 Sigma project to improve Line X cycle time. How do you manage that and convert it in a 6Sigma project? Perhaps you use some Lean tools like VSM for current & Future State, SMED methods, 5S tools, and so on, then, use 6 sigma with the new cycle times measured to compare both statistically and be sure that the new state is Significantly Different from the older one.
Am I thinking properly in this case or 6Sigma is not likely this way?

I would like to listen from your experience on your plants what are the 6Sigma Projects you've participated in, but, more than the Title of the Project, some few more-detailed steps of how it has been conducted.

Is 6 Sigma aplicable everytime on our daily improvements? I feel Lean could be applyed everytime, and 6Sigma harder to improve. Notice that I feel it really usefull managing data, but sometimes I feel is not easy to get so much data. Is data 6Sigma?

I believe sharing our experiences could be helpfull for we all. Thank you in advance!
I really want to listen more experienced Black Belts or other to come up with your daily experiences.
:thanx:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Re: 6 Sigma: Could you share some practical examples of 6 Sigma Projects in your comp

Good day amiuda,

There is a great deal of mistaken thinking that Six Sigma projects must be, include or look like ____. I did a simple project on a transactional-type document control process and posted the final report on the thread titled Six Sigma Project - The entire Corrective Action Process. I used it to get my CSSBB from ASQ.

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few
Re: 6 Sigma: Could you share some practical examples of 6 Sigma Projects in your comp

HI !
I started a trainning to be 6 Sigma BB, but I am not more than a "white belt" LOL.
I have a some Lean backgroup, that I appreciate a lot, as Lean tools are much easy and quick to apply on the shopfloor.

For me, 6sigma is new, even understang the statistical concepts I feel that is necessay to "translate" everything to figures/numbers, is that right?

For instance a 6 Sigma project to improve Line X cycle time. How do you manage that and convert it in a 6Sigma project? Perhaps you use some Lean tools like VSM for current & Future State, SMED methods, 5S tools, and so on, then, use 6 sigma with the new cycle times measured to compare both statistically and be sure that the new state is Significantly Different from the older one.
Am I thinking properly in this case or 6Sigma is not likely this way?

I would like to listen from your experience on your plants what are the 6Sigma Projects you've participated in, but, more than the Title of the Project, some few more-detailed steps of how it has been conducted.

Is 6 Sigma aplicable everytime on our daily improvements? I feel Lean could be applyed everytime, and 6Sigma harder to improve. Notice that I feel it really usefull managing data, but sometimes I feel is not easy to get so much data. Is data 6Sigma?

I believe sharing our experiences could be helpfull for we all. Thank you in advance!
I really want to listen more experienced Black Belts or other to come up with your daily experiences.
:thanx:

From the top of my head:

Ford Motor Company had a project years ago to reduce wind noise in cars.

Another one: Reduce variability in ball bearing matching process to reduce classes of ball bearings and ring sizes.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin

Six Sigma projects will typically focus on, but are not limited to the following:
  • Reducing defects/increasing yield (operations) or errors/mistakes (transactional)
  • Reducing variation (operations) or SPAN (transactional)

Lean and six sigma can be effectively combined toward the same project goal. For example, A Lean team went through a process removing waste and converting to 1-piece flow, but was unable to improve one process step that added eight hours of processing time. Since this line only ran for 1 shift a day, it added an entire day to the lead time. My certification project used six sigma to reduce the eight hours to 1.5 hours, which removed 22.5 hours from the lead time thus allowing the line to build and ship the same day. However, this end result (1 day build & ship) would not have been possible without the Lean improvements previously made.

Top Bottom