Elsmar Cove Quality DiscussionsAS9100D - Good ways to document an internal audit plan / scheduleThe Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
AS9100D - Good ways to document an internal audit plan / schedule
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

AS9100D - Good ways to document an internal audit plan / schedule - Page 2

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
as9100 revision d (2016), audit plans and audit frequency, internal audits, process audits

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 17th April 2018, 07:55 AM
Mike S.

Total Posts: 2,212
Re: AS9100D - Good ways to document an internal audit plan / schedule

The OP didn't ask what was required by the standard or auditors.

I use a spreadsheet as well. I set date goals for certain audits, and am flexible as to the realities that sometimes require those planned dates to move around.

Create a plan/schedule and adjust as necessary. Kinda how you run much of a business, huh?

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 17th April 2018, 01:36 PM
AndyN

Total Posts: 8,758
Let Me Help You Re: AS9100D - Good ways to document an internal audit plan / schedule

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Mike S. View Post

The OP didn't ask what was required by the standard or auditors.

I use a spreadsheet as well. I set date goals for certain audits, and am flexible as to the realities that sometimes require those planned dates to move around.

Create a plan/schedule and adjust as necessary. Kinda how you run much of a business, huh?
And I'd suggest that, to set a calendar and then be adjusting dates etc isn't what is, as the OP requests, a "good way to document an internal audit plan/schedule"...

Doing internal audits isn't a time based thing - CB audits are. Internal audits need to go where the "squeaky wheels are" and those do not happen to a 12 month schedule. I recall, a couple of versions ago, ISO 9004 had a very good guideline which stated something along the lines of "scheduling should be flexible to all for things uncovered at each audit". If you plan something and the plan keeps changing, all we know is, the plan isn't a good one.
  Post Number #11  
Old 17th April 2018, 03:16 PM
Mike S.

Total Posts: 2,212

You make a lot of assumptions, Andy, that ain't necessarily so.

I didn’t say anything about 12 month schedules, you did.

Inputs to my spreadsheet are based on discussions and reviews of previous audits, risks, importance, introduction of any new processes, etc. etc.

If you make plans that never change, well, God bless you, you must be better than everyone else at planning. If you never make plans, well, God bless ya anyway.
  Post Number #12  
Old 17th April 2018, 04:15 PM
AndyN

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Mike S. View Post

You make a lot of assumptions, Andy, that ain't necessarily so.

I didn’t say anything about 12 month schedules, you did.

Inputs to my spreadsheet are based on discussions and reviews of previous audits, risks, importance, introduction of any new processes, etc. etc.

If you make plans that never change, well, God bless you, you must be better than everyone else at planning. If you never make plans, well, God bless ya anyway.
Correct, you didn't. My comments, not assumptions, are based on what probably 99% of organizations do.
  Post Number #13  
Old 17th April 2018, 10:38 PM
jack770214

Total Posts: 13

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Joeem View Post

Help. Any good ideas for a good way to document a internal audit plan / schedule? I have 16 processes to audit. What program should I use to create something to show what is audited and when and by who?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
After you set up your schedule our company uses an audit score card with weighted variables to show what gets audited either more frequently or intensely. Those variables are for example processes that were root cause for RMA, Major or Multiple non conformities found by internal, external, or customer, new and or changed processes, negative trending KPIs etc. It can help to give some direction to your plan not sure if its mandatory but its a good practice to make the plan risk based and not just for the cert.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Thanks to jack770214 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #14  
Old 18th April 2018, 08:33 PM
QMS Tom

Total Posts: 1

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Joeem View Post

Help. Any good ideas for a good way to document a internal audit plan / schedule? I have 16 processes to audit. What program should I use to create something to show what is audited and when and by who?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Regarding your 16 processes, is every requirement of AS9100 encompassed in these? Just be sure to audit your processes and all AS9100 requirements as well as statutory and regulatory requirements.
Audit schedules are to be based on importance and prior audit results. Rank the processes in this way.
Create a matrix (like others have suggested, processes on one side and months across the top). Schedule the audits ensuring that you can demonstrate consideration for importance and prior audit results.
Audit the important stuff. The "not so important" can wait...audit these once per year.
Audit records should should what objective evidence was reviewed to draw your audit conclusion.
  Post Number #15  
Old 19th April 2018, 06:25 AM
AndyN

Let Me Help You Re: AS9100D - Good ways to document an internal audit plan / schedule

Audit "schedules" aren't what's required. The standard doesn't mention them, calendars or any time-based plan. It simply says an audit program (one or more audits) based on importance etc. Audits should be driven by QMS events, such as:
Changed/new processes, people, product, suppliers, customers/requirements, regs.
Anything which didn't go "to plan" - performs poorly or better than expected. That doesn't happen to a schedule.
The audit frequency etc has to be defined, but that doesn't mean all audits have to be done at the same frequency. True, some things in the business are more important, so get to those first. As with calibration, doing audits to a predicted calendar rather than by use, doesn't make for effective internal audits.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >