Electric Torque and Angle Torque Wrench questions

C

Cromax700

Hello everyone. I work for a tier one automotive supplier. A requirement for our new project is many of the torque connections are angle controlled. This means the fastener is torqued to a specified torque then it is turned a set number of degrees. A new requirement is any offline rework of these connections needs to be torqued in the same fashion. In the past we just had a set rework torque.

We have been looking at the ASI DataMyte Lightstar torque and angle wrench with the 501 reader. Has anyone had any experience with this equipment? How could I verify the wrench does what they say it can do before we purchase it?

Thanks for your time.

BradM

Leader
Admin
Re: Electric torque & angle torque wrench questions

Hello Cromax700. Welcome to the Cove.:bigwave:

Well... I realize this is an awfully basic statement, but the calibration of the wrench should yield some indication of it being able to fulfill requirements.

Have you contacted the sales office for the product? Yes.. I know... most people aren't excited about having salespeople strolling in their facility and taking your time. However, they do know the product, and usually have a demo instrument that you can see how it works.

They can come to your facility, see your application, and give you some pointers and such on your application.

I might, though, check around at some local competent calibration sources to see if they have the capability of calibrating the instruments. That way, you don't have to send it back to the mfg. everytime. Also, if you have a good relationship with the calibration source, you can ask them how the calibration history has been on those instruments.;)

Hope something here helps. Again, welcome to the Cove.

C

Cromax700

We have been in contact with a ASI DataMyte sales rep through JA King a local calibration and equipment sales business. We have demoed the wrench. From what we have seen we think this equipment can meet our needs.

I guess what I am really interested in is anyone's thoughts or experiences good or bad with the DataMyte Lightstar torque wrench and 501 reader in terms of reliability, ease of use, long term accuracy, etc.

Thank you for your help and the warm welcome. :)

K

kgriff

I can't give you any specific information regarding the ASI DataMyte that you are considering. I can, however, tell you that we've been using a different brand of electric torque/angle driver at the company where I work for 8 years or so. We have probably 40 or so driver setups. They have been extremely reliable, with only 5 or so required repairs in the time these have been in service. They also very seldom require calibration adjustments. Typcially, we find that when these drivers are found out of tolerance, it is due to part changes. (i.e. different fastener supplier, different casting supplier, different method of thread tapping, etc.)

I have no relationship with this manufacturer, other being a cal tech that supports them. I will not mention their name publicly, but if you think you may be interested, contact me via email, and I'll send you additional information.

Top Bottom