The 3 Biggest Obstacles You Faced when you start to apply improvement projects

What is the product you WILL buy, to help you in improvement project you manage

• User-Friendly Training Material (PPT)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Y

yassser33

Dear colleagues :
I have moved to a publishing company , which assign me to make a market research about what Quality experts needs ; and when i think how i could reach large number of experts from different countries , i thought the best place is right here .

So i need to know what is the The biggest 3 obstacles you face when you start to apply an improvement projects ( Six Sigma , lean , kanaban , 5s , even problem solving tools , what evere ...etc )
If you want to help please make your answer like this :

1- personally i found the number 1 challenge is to choose the right tools for improvement , is it Six Sigma or lean or MBNQA or etc... the normal case i face is ""hey , we want to have a system that reduce cost and reduce error rate and make us bit our competitor ""

2- Allocating resources is No 2 , i always face the problem that people are very busy and can't save time for improvement projects.

3- I need a Step by Step guide for application of a similar projects , not just a theory about tools.

that was my 3 obstacles , what about yours

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: The Biggest 3 Obstacles You Face

Dear colleagues :
I have moved to a publishing company , which assign me to make a market research about what Quality experts needs ; and when i think how i could reach large number of experts from different countries , i thought the best place is right here .

So i need to know what is the The biggest 3 obstacles you face when you start to apply an improvement projects ( Six Sigma , lean , kanaban , 5s , even problem solving tools , what evere ...etc )
If you want to please make your answer like this :

1- personally i found the number 1 challenge is to choose the right tools for improvement , is it Six Sigma or lean or MBNQA or etc... the normal case i face is ""hey , we want to have a system that reduce cost and reduce error rate and make us bit our competitor ""

2- Allocating resources is No 2 , i always face the problem that people are very busy and can't save time for improvement projects.

3- I need a Step by Step guide for application of a similar projects , not just a theory about tools.

My top three:

1. Top management
  2. Top management
  3. Top management

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Dear colleagues :

If you want to please make your answer like this :

Here's what I see....
  1. Incompetence
  2. Short-term vision No vision-mission-values
  3. Greed
Stijloor.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource

The three biggest obstacles I run into trying to apply an improvement project:

1. Physics
2. Probability
3. Cost

Outside of them, things go pretty smoothly....

A

achorste

My top three:

1. Top management
  2. Top management
  3. Top management

Have to agree there - with management support nearly everything else falls into place, you can get the people, the resources, the training etc etc etc.

But if pushed for three discrete items I would say:

1) Top management
2) Entrentched workforce ("this is the way we've always done it"!)
3) Cost

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin

1) Resource constraints - mostly share of mind and time with the people who are addressing the items I raise in audits. It took over two years to feel sure I'm not just being tolerated.

2) Short term thinking. Management doesn't appear to understand that Lean isn't supposed to mean slashing the work force and then figuring out what to do with all the responsibilities.

3) Using Office to set up a cluttered, overwhelming documentation system that doesn't look very well connected. Office isn't made to do what we're asking of it, and better systems cost money - see #1.

Y

yassser33

Dear colleagues :
I really would like to thank you for your care to help me
Jim Wynne : it seems you suffer a lot from top management :D
Stijloor : Greed :mg:?? could you explain
bobdoering : what you mean by physics , you mean calculation and equation etc...
achorste: you agree with Jim ,your top management look great too
Jennifer Kirley : your answer is very clear thanks.

Now i wanna summarize what we get up tell now :
1- 4 out of five about top management
( lack of support or vision and values )

2-Cost 3 times out of 5

3- Staff : 2 out of 5 about staff competence and resistance to change

4- Another issues like :

Physics
Probability
Greed

Now my next question is , what are the most 3 thing you are looking for ( online , books , magazine , articles , software ...etc ) to solve this obstacles , and you didn't find up till now.

For me :
1- Complete Case study
2- Ready template to save time
3- Free or cheap software to help me in calculations .

what about you ..!!!

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource

bobdoering : what you mean by physics , you mean calculation and equation etc...

You want to eliminate a root cause or make something happen faster as an improvement - but it cannot be done because if you do something will break, vibrate, heat up, cool off, be harder to position, is too small to see, can not be detected with enough resolution...etc. :cool:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin

Now my next question is , what are the most 3 thing you are looking for ( online , books , magazine , articles , software ...etc ) to solve this obstacles , and you didn't find up till now.

For me :
1- Complete Case study
2- Ready template to save time
3- Free or cheap software to help me in calculations .

what about you ..!!!
Since I never saw a piece of commercially available software that truly suits our needs; so I have been developing customized Excel and Access tools to help my customers manage their documentation and data. Some of the tools are morphed versions of what was available here in the Cove. I love this place! :D These efforts have given me a nice boost in perceived value, which I expect to help me when layoff times come, as they always do.

My efforts are being well received in quality and environmental because it gives better information and its upkeep is less of a burden. I am writing a paper - Stealth Quality #5 - about using FMEAs to manage safety risk planning and documentation. I hope to finish it this weekend.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Re: The Biggest 3 Obstacles You Face when you start to apply improvement projects

3 Obstacles

1. Silo-thinking - People are unable/unwilling to think outside of their own area. This can have several impacts such as:
  • Uncooperative or nonsupportive of project
  • Will not provide resources - information, personnel, time, etc.
  • Refusal to accept or try new things for fear it will change "their world"

2. Knowledge - It is impossible to simply say "We will apply XXX methodology to improve!" Sufficient knowlege of the problem and the tools to use is required.

3. Poor planning - This includes knowing what the goal is to be and when it is to be achieved. Poor planning results in inefficient usage of resources, money wasted and low morale (i.e. frustration by the team).

3 Helpful Things to Have

1. User-Friendly Training Material - This means training material on the improvement methodology that can be used by personnel at all levels. This will also ensure consistency in the message that is communicated to personnel. This material has been developed in-house to address this need.

2. Standard Template - To capture the improvement process at its various stages. Again, this has been developed in-house for our improvement projects, our lean projects, our problem-solving projects, etc.

3. Leadership Reference Material - That discusses the obstacles along with possible solutions from real case examples.

Top Bottom