European Union Environmental Product Directives ELV, WEEE/ RoHS

C

Chris Harden

Hello,

I was interested in finding out if suppliers in the electronics sector are being hit with the requests to either provide material content disclosure (giving the full chemical breakdown of the components or materials they supply) or provide a certification statement that they are compliant with the European Union's Restriction of Hazardous Substances in Electrical and Electronic Equipment.

The auto manufacturers chose to collect complete material and chemical disclosure through an electronic database (the International Material Data System, IMDS) in order to deal the End of Life Vehicle Directive. Now it will be interesting to see what happens with the electronics companies as they prepare to deal with the RoHS and WEEE Directives.

If anyone has any information on requests that have been floating around I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Chris Harden

B

BadgerMan

It’s probably not related but we were recently asked (required) by one customer to disclose the domestic content of our electronic assemblies, including detail regarding any components or subassemblies procured from foreign sources. We are taking exception to the requirement due to the tedious nature of the task. We buy hundreds of “spec-control” components from distributors. We could flow the requirement down to the distributors but they would just tell us to buzz off for the same reasons.

I hear rumblings regarding end-of-life concerns from time to time, especially as they relate to lead solder in electronic assemblies and the EEU. I am not up to date on the details though so I won’t step out on a limb by opening my mouth. LOL!

I

ISO-Stupid

Electronics IMDS Submission

IN my cyber-travels on this subject, the answer is YES to your request. EXCEPT....they decided to develop their own infracture in data collection and not utilize EDS'...cannot locate the exact article and web site at this time. When I use the term "electronics", I am including the computer industry. Also, my company just received notice that GE (household appliances) will be submitting IMDS - the office furniture industry has been doing it for 2 years now as well the automotive.

:2cents:

D

dbulak

ISO-Stupid said:
IN my cyber-travels on this subject, the answer is YES to your request. EXCEPT....they decided to develop their own infracture in data collection and not utilize EDS'...cannot locate the exact article and web site at this time. When I use the term "electronics", I am including the computer industry. Also, my company just received notice that GE (household appliances) will be submitting IMDS - the office furniture industry has been doing it for 2 years now as well the automotive.

I too have been spending alot of time on this subject. I found a web site that explain the entire history of this evolutution of WEEE and RoHS. It is www.goodbyechain.com. Hope this can give some info. Also, I checked out by Google seach WEEE and RoHS and there is alot of info there.

I

ISO-Stupid

RoHS and WEEE

Excellent web site! I was very impressed with their indepth information....thank you for the input... :cool:

C

Chris Harden

Other information on the WEEE/RoHS Directives

I thought you might be interested to know in addition to the information Goodbye Chain has we have put information on our website at www.mdsmap.com. We have fact sheets on ELV, WEEE/RoHS, EuP, and REACH.

Still interested in hearing what people are being hit with concerning information requests.

Thanks,

Chris Harden

D

dbulak

Chris Harden said:
I thought you might be interested to know in addition to the information Goodbye Chain has we have put information on our website at www.mdsmap.com. We have fact sheets on ELV, WEEE/RoHS, EuP, and REACH.

Still interested in hearing what people are being hit with concerning information requests.

Thanks,

Chris Harden
I have had about 25 companies ask about the WEEE and RoHS directives. We still are not sure as to the response we are to give. We are trying to gather as much info as possible before we answer. Besides the web sites mentioned in this thread, are there any experts that can offer advice-answer questions? Should Marc set up a special listing for this like he does for ISO?

C

Chris Harden

RoHS/ WEEE Experts

In answer to your question, "Are there any WEEE/ RoHS experts?" I would have to say yes. Obviously WEEE and RoHS are new directives and this type of legislation is fairly new, my organization, MDSMap has been working in this field for four years now. Are initial work focused on the ELV Directive which set the same requirements for the auto industry that WEEE/ RoHS does for electronics. If we can help you in anyway please feel free to contact us at 734 213-5088 or [email protected].

Also I might mention there are various groups working on helping the electronics industry with WEEE/ RoHS the most active in North America is the National Electronics Manufacturing Initiative (NEMI). NEMI hosts a weekly conference call on RoHS reporting Tuesdays at 1:00 PM (EST). You may want to visit their website www.nemi.org. IPC also has information available and has launched a lead free website.

The National Electronics Distributors Association (NEDA) has a conference in January on RoHS their website is www.nedassoc.org.

Good Luck and let me know if I can help.

Chris Harden

G

greta

With all these directives, I wonder if we can have a standard to follow to make things a bit more uniform? I am most familiar with the requirements of the big three but am rapidly learning about other tier one and two requirements as well.

G

greta

ISO-Stupid said:

I know what you mean about others creating their own databases instead of using the IMDS. I have to go to Honda next month for such training on their reporting requirements using their database.

Top Bottom