Healthcare Time and Motion Study

S

stryker09

Does anyone have a spreadsheet/template/forms or sample for doing a Time and Motion Study for a healthcare facility. Sorry, I just don't know where we are to start. Seems easier in the processing industry. Thanks a lot......

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Does anyone have a spreadsheet/template/forms or sample for doing a Time and Motion Study for a healthcare facility. Sorry, I just don't know where we are to start. Seems easier in the processing industry. Thanks a lot......
Check out THIS thread and the attachments in them to see if you can modify them for your use ...

S

stryker09

Seems good but I don't think I could adapt it for use in a healthcare facility. Any more suggestions?

K

kgott

I thought that concept dies out years ago. Why not start with a process flowchart, that should reveal good and useful information?

S

stryker09

It seems to be difficult to do it for a healthcare facility....Looks like there seems to be more unproductive time on an 8-hour shift....

K

kgott

It seems to be difficult to do it for a healthcare facility....Looks like there seems to be more unproductive time on an 8-hour shift....

I might be getting off topic a little here but it seems that any waste cutting exercise is always focused on the bottom end of an organisation.

Is this a symptom of a lack of management skill to achieve increased efficiencies using other means such as TQM and 6 sigma or is using these methods just too much hard work for management?

Either way, to my way of thinking it raises doubt about the commitment of management and industry generally, to concepts such as quality management, TQM, 6 sigma etc or, have I got the wrong idea altogether?

harry

Trusted Information Resource

Welcome back Stryker,

If my guess is right, I don't think you are dealing with standard processes such as those in production but one in which every patient is different and therefore need different processes and time. Can a time and motion study be helpful in such a situation?

I think the problem is more in the 'flow'. Perhaps value stream mapping would be more appropriate. I hope the experts in this area will throw some light into it.

S

stryker09

Thanks for the suggestion Harry any other suggestions....Here's a one situational, it's not daily we have a surgical operation or a patient in the ICU but still we've got to pay staff to go on duty 24/7.

Also, has anyone made a study for a healthcare facility? Seems I would agree with the great guru P. Drucker when he said "I'd rather manage a hotel than a hospital"...I hope I quoted him right. Again friends I'm still waiting for suggestions.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Having been in the Healthcare field for all of 5 days now, I am probably not qualified to answer, but I'll do my best based on what I've seen. Background is that I'm part of the Operations Improvement team - we focus on both the frontline (clinical) operations as well as business operations.

My first week has been spent doing a lot of orientation meetings and reading of process maps. The good part is that most people are telling me the same gaps/opportunities. The bad part is that no one can point me towards the plan(s) to address these gaps/opportunities or the status of actions (if any).

The process maps we have cover a range of activities from strategic planning to client care (on-going service delivery). While 'times' are not included with the client visits, the scheduling system is referenced. What I don't think exists is a comparison of planned visit time to actual visit time or planned visit tasks to actual visit tasks. Sadly, even if such data did exist, everyone would be questioning the validity of the data.

Still, the process maps have been a good place for me to start when it comes to identifying some issues that need to be addressed.

What I have learned in these past 5 days is that every process is documented - some better than others - but that the collection, retention, and dissemination of data and information is suspect...and that's probably going to impact your ability to successfully conduct a time and motion study.

Top Bottom