ASQ Certification Exam: Tips, Trips and Traps

Govind

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Certification Exam, Tips, Trips and Traps- This article was published in October 2004 Quality Progress and was well received by Quality Community, New Exam takers, and Multiple Certification holders. There were several appreciation letters in the " QP Mail Bag" and Quality Progress -Discussion topic in the forum.

This article was under "Member Only" tag. So many new exam takers who are currently Non members will not able to review the article.

Certification Exam can be taken by both members and Non members of ASQ. Hence releasing this article to non members will potentially benefit the greater Quality Community.

I requested to the article author Mr.James J. Rooney on the discussion topic if he could allow us to release the article. He kindly agreed.

Thanks to Ms.Sally Harthun, ASQ Certifications Manager helping us to liaise with Quality Progress Editor Ms.Debbie.J. Donaldson and obtain approval to release the article for all Quality Professionals.

Thanks to both Ms.Sally Harthun & Ms.Debbie.J. Donaldson for assisting in approval process and quick response.

Thanks to Mr.Rooney for writing an excellent , useful article for Certification exam takers.

Iam sharing this article with a Hyper Link for the benefit of Elsmar Cove forum users.

This thread goes into our Certifications topic Sticky Thread.
Thanks to Marc (Elsmar) for providing us this space to share our knowledge with fellow professionals.

ASQ Certification Exam:Tips, Trips and Traps

See ASQ Certifications Topic -Public Discussion Board:

Regards,
Govind.

Last edited:

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Good job, Govind. That took tenacity and persuasion. I hope the non-ASQ member candidates will appreciate your effort. We who are in ASQ are among the few who understand the obstacles you had to overcome to make this available to the public.

G

giridharrao_be

About requirements for CQE

Hello Govind/members,

I have just read the article posted by you. I am doing my masters in chemical engineering and wish to take CQE. I have seen the requirements to take the exam and it says that 5 years will be waived for masters degree students out of eight years. Does this mean that i will not be able to take the exam till i complete third year in some decision amking job. I am quite confused. And what about proof of proffessionalism just becoming a member by paying money will solve the problem?. I just got acquainted with this certification and would like to give the exam. Please advice. Giving a reply to my email will be greatly appreciated. Thankyou

Giridhar

Moderator note: e-mail address was removed to shield against spam bots; Giridhar may be contacted through his user profile.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
giridharrao_be said:
Hello Govind/members,

I have just read the article posted by you. I am doing my masters in chemical engineering and wish to take CQE. I have seen the requirements to take the exam and it says that 5 years will be waived for masters degree students out of eight years. Does this mean that i will not be able to take the exam till i complete third year in some decision amking job.
Moderator note: e-mail address was removed to shield against spam bots; Giridhar may be contacted through his user profile.

Welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:

The ASQ requirements indeed say that 8 years experience in one or more areas of the BOK are required, with the last 3 being in a decision-making capacity, and that 5 years may be waived for candidates with a master's degree or doctorate. Because it's not otherwise explicitly stated, the requirement for 3 years in a decision-making capacity still stands, apparently.

giridharrao_be said:
And what about proof of proffessionalism just becoming a member by paying money will solve the problem?

Yes.

Last edited:

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
"The horse's mouth"

Sometimes, it helps to get information straight from the horse's mouth. As much as I may be identified with ASQ, I do not have the authority to speak for ASQ on prerequisites for taking a certification exam.

The current manager in charge is Sally Harthrun. In the ASQ Forums, she answered a similar query.

I have included her contact info if you do, indeed, want the answer from the one who has final say on a registrant's credentials:

Sally Harthun
[email protected]
Manager of ASQ Certification
North America: 800-248-1946
International: +1-414-272-8575
Fax: 414-272-1734

Her response to a similar question:
Hello. I am Sally Harthun, the Manager of Certification. We can only count one of the degrees, but that would count for 5 of the 8 years. The remaining three years need to be work experience that would fall under the BOK, and also be "decision-making" in nature. The two years of non quality engineering would fit, it they fall under the CQE BOK. The one year of quality engineering would qualify of course. They would have to be three full years of experience.

Hope this helps.

You can use my name as a reference, but I have absolutely no influence over the process.

G

giridharrao_be

Will i be able to do SSGB after master's

Thankyou both for clearing my doubt. I understand that i wont be able to take the exam till i have three years of experiance. I just wanted to enhance my resume for better jobs. Will I be able to do SSGB certification? because it states that only three years of experiance are required. Thanks again for giving a very fast reply.

T

tekno9000

Old article, but nice. The strategy is still good. Plan to take the SSGB exam shortly. Need to search more recent data.

Thanks to Govind for his efforts.

Top Bottom