The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
ISO 13485 production cleaning requirements of reusable devices
Please read this thread...
Software update
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
iso 13485 - medical device qms, iso 13485:2016, reusable medical devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 13th April 2018, 05:32 AM
d.conroy

Total Posts: 6
Please Help! ISO 13485 production cleaning requirements of reusable devices

We are a surgical instrument (class 1) reusable medical device developer/manufacturer.
The instrument is machined in a manufacturing environment, passivated, cleaned and then packed. The device is cleaned and sterilized in the hospital before each use. The cleaning and sterilization process that we instruct the hospital to complete is validated.

From reading iso 13485 I think section b) of 7.5.2 applies to our device but I'm not sure what level of cleanliness we require and the subsequent validation requirements of our factory cleaning process.

My opinion is that the device is cleaned by the user and that the factory cleaning process is not critical.
I could specify a required cleanness level as " free from visual particulate and contamination under x2 magnification". This would mean we could 100% verify the parts and not complete any validation of our factory cleaning process.

Will this be accepted? Any hep?

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 13th April 2018, 05:55 AM
somashekar

Total Posts: 5,362
re: ISO 13485 production cleaning requirements of reusable devices

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by d.conroy View Post

We are a surgical instrument (class 1) reusable medical device developer/manufacturer.
The instrument is machined in a manufacturing environment, passivated, cleaned and then packed. The device is cleaned and sterilized in the hospital before each use. The cleaning and sterilization process that we instruct the hospital to complete is validated.

From reading iso 13485 I think section b) of 7.5.2 applies to our device but I'm not sure what level of cleanliness we require and the subsequent validation requirements of our factory cleaning process.

My opinion is that the device is cleaned by the user and that the factory cleaning process is not critical.
I could specify a required cleanness level as " free from visual particulate and contamination under x2 magnification". This would mean we could 100% verify the parts and not complete any validation of our factory cleaning process.

Will this be accepted? Any hep?
Hi.. This is where you have to apply the risk based approach.
When you say
Quote:
The cleaning and sterilization process that we instruct the hospital to complete is validated.
.... what was the input cleanliness consideration for the instrument in that validation ? Hope you have it.....
If not.,
There is an other catchy word called "Clinically clean" which you can use to your requirement. Dont look to see for particles, instead work under controlled conditions, someting like your processes are done under a laminar hood, with people wearing suitable PPE and using pure IPA to wipe out and pure N2 blow to dry and then pack.
Establish with such cleaning (Clinically clean) that the suggested sterilization process instructed to hospitals stands valid. Record your inprocess cleaning and continue to use same and maintain.
  Post Number #3  
Old 13th April 2018, 07:48 AM
ScottK

Total Posts: 2,722
re: ISO 13485 production cleaning requirements of reusable devices

Having been in that same situation not so long ago I will also say that you should take the risk based approach.

consider what clean is from the perspective of what the product is contacting throughout the manufacturing process, is any of that harmful, and how do prove that you remove it?

I had an FMEA that listed processing agents throughout the process (lubricants, cleaners, etc) and then did testing on final product to demonstrate that anything harmful has been removed (usually cytotoxicity and endotoxicity tests satisfied our customers - as well as visual inspection for particulate) As I remember we did that testing annually to show nothing changed.

Our products also went through sterility validation but that was a function of design - not manufacturing process.
Thanks to ScottK for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >