Hunter 1 - Canada Goose 1

Hunter 1 - Canada Goose 1. Wildlife encounters

A hunter was knocked out by a goose on 5 oct:

He and his son were out hunting geese when something fell out of the sky and rendered him KO. It turned out that a goose, shot by his son had crashed down right on his head after falling about 60' :bonk:

The hunter, Ulf Ilbäck from Linköping, Sweden told a reporter that he was forced to call in sick for a few days and that "many humorous remarks were made" when he returned to work. He also commented that: -I suppose the goose wanted to get even...

/Claes

W

wolfnature

Maybe they should rewrite the hunter safety courses, because I don't remember that being covered :D

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
And people thought Canadians were sweet and demure....hah! We're a vindictive lot...but usually we're more subtle than that goose. ;)

More wildlife... or is it?

Some visitors in a Stockholm suburb (it happens quite often).

/Claes

Attachments

• elk1.jpg
    elk1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 349
  • elk2.jpg
    elk2.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 305
  • elk3.jpg
    elk3.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 299
  • elk4.jpg
    elk4.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 322
L

Laura M

It's deer season here - for hunters and cars. I've seen them before but.....

I hit a deer yesterday. That was a first for me. He looked at me...I slammed on the brakes, but it was a place I just couldn't swerve without being in bigger trouble. I was a bit shook up - and thought he flailed, then died, but then he got up. Looked at me like "what did I do to deserve that?" So car has minimal damage, he may have wandered off an died, but looked 'ok' when I left, and I was OK (airbag didn't deployy!) Just freaked me out a little.

Laura M said:
and I was OK (airbag didn't deployy!) Just freaked me out a little.
Glad to hear it, and I don't blaim you for freaking out a bit.

The problem with the guys in my pictures are that they are so tall and heavy. When you hit them, the results are often catastrophic: You hit the legs and the body falls straight through the windscreen. A colleague of mine did that last year. He walked away from it in far better shape than one would expect, but he had a very spectacular lump on his forhead, and a couple of king size black eyes. He looked like a racoon for weeks afterwards. The car was a total write-off, of course.

/Claes

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Laura M said:
It's deer season here - for hunters and cars. I've seen them before but.....

I hit a deer yesterday. That was a first for me. He looked at me...I slammed on the brakes, but it was a place I just couldn't swerve without being in bigger trouble. I was a bit shook up - and thought he flailed, then died, but then he got up. Looked at me like "what did I do to deserve that?" So car has minimal damage, he may have wandered off an died, but looked 'ok' when I left, and I was OK (airbag didn't deployy!) Just freaked me out a little.

Glad to hear you're OK. I've had several near misses, but so far I've been lucky. I just read yesterday that there were nearly 20,000 car-deer collisions in Wisconsin last year, with 11 human fatalities and hundreds of injuries. Some body shops in the state report that as much as 25% of their annual business comes from deer accidents.

C

Craig H.

Laura, glad you are OK. We have a fatality here every couple of years from deer hits, and people trying to avoid them.

I personally have hit three I can think of off the top of my head, including one that I hit in the early evening after sitting in a deer stand hunting for them for ~3 hours and seeing nothing.

The biggest deer I have ever seen was in the headlights of my mom's car a half second before a very direct and very expensive hit. 60+ mph, and the sucker got up and walked away. I'm sure, and sorry, it later died. My insurance guy told me then that they would rather their customers go ahead and hit the deer, rather than jerking the steering wheel and risk flipping and/or hitting the ditch. Of course a deer has a lower center of gravity than a moose, and having one come into the passenger compartment is rare (it does happen, though).

That, my friends, is why we have a long hunting season, and a season limit of 12 (yeah, a dozen) deer.

Top Bottom