Visualization of KPI data - Your ideas please

Crombes

Involved In Discussions
Hello,

My boss has asked me to improve our information corner with some visualisation (graphs,...,?) in general of the data shared with the operators there are already some graphs in the corner ( cost of non quality ,PPM level at major customers ,.... ) the usual I think .

Problem is that the operators don't really seem to be interested in this has anyone good ideas -- examples of there visualisation of data (KPI) and would like to share ?

thanks

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Crombes said:
Hello,

My boss has asked me to improve our information corner with some visualisation (graphs,...,?) in general of the data shared with the operators there are already some graphs in the corner ( cost of non quality ,PPM level at major customers ,.... ) the usual I think .

Problem is that the operators don't really seem to be interested in this has anyone good ideas -- examples of there visualisation of data (KPI) and would like to share ?

thanks

Occasionally tour the floor, and give a 5 EU note to any person who can tell yuo what the charts say. By the time you do this a few times, people will start looking at the charts.

Crombes said:
there are already some graphs in the corner ( cost of non quality ,PPM level at major customers ,.... ) the usual I think .
Could you show us what they look like (Not the figures, just the layout)? That way we should be able to come up with suggstions fitting to your needs.

/Claes

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
So the boss things that spicing up the charts will get the operators more interested in the charts? Hmmm...what would Deming say?

R

Red4165

Hi
This may not be what you are looking for but I will offer some suggestions anyway:

Why not go back to basics:

Customer Complaint examples for each month ie. flat, flavour, broken, not working, contaminate etc

Display future changes in products or memos on "Quality Quests" etc

GMP audit results - both positive and negatives

Internal Audit results or memo's relating to areas due to be audited or general feedback relating to audits

Team KPI's - Graphs - if the KPI's are linked back to an incentive scheme put some dollar signs on the target line.

A new memo each month relating to compliance requirements in QA to assist with their understanding of QA

Feedback from the production staff.
Start logging and displaying all feedback on how things can be improved- action items resulting from these ideas as well as the status!!
Good luck!!!

JJ:bigwave:

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
Here at Fluor Hanford, we do use a SPC driven dashboard for our safety and quality KPI's. I just had an article published in the May 2006 American Society for Safety Engineers magazine "Professional Safety" on the concept. I have attached an example of the layout.

Attachments

• Example Dashboard.xls
    168.5 KB · Views: 1,958

Crombes

Involved In Discussions
please find some pics of the infocorner

these cover following items :
PPM level for the 4 biggest customers + # complaints
PPM level for the Key suppliers +# complaints
worst supplier rating
cost non quality
overview scrap costs + sort & rework costs

Attachments

• 0004.JPG
    0004.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 1,487
  • 0003.JPG
    0003.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,978
  • 0005.JPG
    0005.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,221

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Steve Prevette said:
Here at Fluor Hanford, we do use a SPC driven dashboard for our safety and quality KPI's. I just had an article published in the May 2006 American Society for Safety Engineers magazine "Professional Safety" on the concept. I have attached an example of the layout.

Thanks, Steve. Nicely done. Nice little package.

S

Sleepless

Find the "NEED" or understand the "PAIN"

From the little I know of the situation, here's my very generalized theory. I stand by two premises, "need" and "pain".

1. Find out what the "need" is. Find out if the charts have any of the following problems:

a. usefulness (correct KPI's being displayed)
b. performance (too long to get data)
c. accuracy (data is not always accurate)
d. audience (are the charts too difficult for the operators to understand)
e. accessibility of the charts (are the systems displaying the charts not very accessible)
f. some other missing need???

2. If the charts meet the "needs", then you need to apply the "pain" factor. People usually won't change unless they feel some sort of pain. If the pain of changing outweighs the pain of staying, why would I change (e.g. use the charts).

I can think of three pain modification methods, off the top of my head:
a. incentive (rewards for efficiency)
b. penalty (penalties for lack of efficiency)
c. reasoning (get them to buy into the reason for using the charts)

To get them to move to using the charts, there has to be a reason. My preference for getting my team to adopt something new, is to make them understand the value. In some cases, a little incentive helps too (you'll have to decide how to incentivize them).

Caster

An Early Cover
Trusted Information Resource
Excel

Crombes said:
please find some pics of the infocorner
Crombes said:
these cover following items :
PPM level for the 4 biggest customers + # complaints
PPM level for the Key suppliers +# complaints
worst supplier rating
cost non quality
overview scrap costs + sort & rework costs ...

Crombes

Mr. Prevette hinted at it. The charts you show are like almost everyones (including mine), pretty bar charts in Excel with a target line.

Please do take Steve up on his hint and reproduce the same data in a control chart. It is always shocking and amazing to find this months much praised and celebrated improvement disappear into common cause.

I'll go one step more - the only way to present business data is on a control chart....unless you are trying to claim an improvement when it does not exist.

In that case my two favirote books are How to Lie with Statistics and How to Lie with Charts. Lots of tricks to let you prove whatever you need.

How to Lie with Statistics dates back to the 50s but is one of my very favorite books. I have lent and lost many copies over the years. Steve, I suspect you have read it? If not you'd love it. The lessons can be used for good or evil as the need arises.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1583487670/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_k2a_3_txt/002-2172935-5720837?%5Fencoding=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0393310728/002-2172935-5720837?v=glance&n=283155

Top Bottom