Calculating Cpk when sample size equals to 1

M

M.Yung

Hi all.

I have been given the task of compiling documentation required for a PPAP submission. One of these documents require me to calculate the Cpk of the process involved. However, only 1 product can be made per every 8 minutes. I could be wrong, but this leads me to believe that my sample size would be 1 (n=1)

From my understanding, I believe I need to take least 2 samples at same time in order to calculate the Cpk (e.g. 5 samples at time 10:30pm).

How would I go about calculating the Cpk for this?

In addition, there are three Specification Limits that need measuring. Does this mean that 3Cpk's are needed?

Cheers

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
yes you need a cpk value for each specification (characteristic)

Cpk can be calculated with n=1 as long as you have multiple samples of n=1.

There is also nothing preventing you from take n=3 or n=5 sequential parts (time between parts doesn't matter)

The key is that Cpk is for an extended period of time not a small period of time. So a daily Cpk or a Cpk for every lot is not valuable (nor is it what a PPAP is looking for)

M

M.Yung

Cpk can be calculated with n=1 as long as you have multiple samples of n=1.

There is also nothing preventing you from take n=3 or n=5 sequential parts (time between parts doesn't matter)

So I'm just imagining the scenario in my head...I would take 1 part at 10:08, another part at 10:16, and another part at 10:24. Would this make the sample size 3 (n=3) if I was combine them together?

Cheers

D

Darius

So I'm just imagining the scenario in my head...I would take 1 part at 10:08, another part at 10:16, and another part at 10:24. Would this make the sample size 3 (n=3) if I was combine them together?

Cheers

:caution:You can, but there must be a rational of the sample size election, check for rational sampling on the net, if there is no theoretical reasons to take 3 is just gibberish, just play with numbers.

M

M.Yung

Hi all

Can anyone recommend a book that they personally found very helpful on Cpk's? I realise its writing style may not be what I'm use to, but I'd still be willing to have a look.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

reynald

Quite Involved in Discussions
Steve,
I have been meaning to watch your Red Bead videos since 2 years ago and I'm glad I was able to do so now.
Impressive on how you and the president handled it.

I learned a lot as well.

Thanks again for sharing.

Top Bottom