FMEA Software Tools - What are the top 5 most used FMEA software

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
I have used Excel, Dyadem's FMEA-Pro 6, Omnex's Aqua, Powerway's APQP and one other whose name escapes me. (Note: This was ~ 10 years ago for Omnex, Powerway and the last, so some may have improved).

If you can afford it, the FMEA-Pro makes the mechanics of FMEAs a lot easier. It also has an integrated control plan, and was remarkably user-friendly and intuitive. The other three packages were, at that time, extremely rigid, inflexible and user unfriendly. Excel was a better solution than the last three.

If you do want to go with a commercial package, test drive it first with an actual FMEA. FMEA-Pro had a demo that let you do everything except print.

T

TamTom

Hi,

I agree with Howard, Excel is the most popular tool.

I worked in a company that uses Plato (German based Company), but this database was so complex, that when ever someone hasn't used it for 5 days he need a new training, so it was not very popular. I think that is the big problem, a database which can compine similar parts and risk analysis and can create a control plan as well, are expensive and must be used by "experts", Excel is a tool known by "everybody", so it is easy to use, and if you want to start, you will find a lot of templates in the internet.

And I'm not aware of a global company (like SAP) that provide a FMEA tool around the world.

Regards,

TamTom

J

jeilers

Hi,

Excel is for sure the most popular tool for beginners. It is very likely that sooner or later users will find out that either one of the following aspects will give them arguments to switch to a more professional tool:
- Excel has to be programmed, configured and maintained
- Excel will not allow “global” search and analysis
- Excel has only a poor support regarding re-use and knowledge management
- Excel will not prevent users from misunderstanding the FMEA methodology

From the moment you want to become more productive you have to switch to a more professional tool. Some of them will give you the possibility to import XLS-Data.

If you are looking for a system which stores information in files under operating system control (like Excel) you should take a look at APIS IQ-FMEA. In addition a server (= APIS CARM-Server) can manage central modules which can be integrated into FMEA. The server is optional.

APIS has established a leadership position in Germany for FMEA software (= more than 1000 customer companies) with these tools and with a user interface in 9 languages (in 2009) this tool is spreading all over the world.

Sorry that I have to focus on only one software tool for FMEA which has not been mentioned in the discussion so far. You will understand this knowing that I'm getting my salary from APIS.

Jürgen

BTW IQ-FMEA can import XLS FMEA

Last edited by a moderator:
A

ArturCh

Hello,

Check please easy and also very suggestiv software PQ-FMEA plus or PQ-FMEA :agree1:
Available in EN version
Have been created with build in rules FMEA methodology

ps. Feel free to contact me for any question or doubts

BR
Artur

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jim Malkovich

Excel is most popular software for FMEA, Control Plan. However it lacks of mechanism for creating relation structure table while FMEA, Control Plan need that. FMEA-Pro or APIS IQ makes that easier but they are too expensive. You can try iQASystem TreeTABLE software as an alternative solution, it is an Add In for Microsoft Excel, provide auto format function and prevent user mistake FMEA methodology when developing FMEA or Control Plan.

D

DRAMMAN

Excel is by far most popular SW tool to use. Hundreds aof templates are freely downloaded or purchased for low cost. Plus the files are easily shared.

My company has 1 license of FMEA Pro. I find it very good for speeding up the mechanics, borrowing from previous FMEA's, tracking actions, and linking to Control Plans. Where a tool like this builds value is after you have done many FMEA's you have an expansive library of to build future FMEA's and use them as living documents. If you are a large global company it can be very powerful for driving consistency and sharing FMEA's on a global scale. I imagine other FMEA software like XFMEA do the same thing. It is expensive at $5000 per license. You need to do allot FMEA's to make it worth while.

The one thing FMEA software does not help is making FMEA's an accepted part of your culture and processes. If your company is struggling to accept FMEA's as a valuable tool then a SW package will not help that.

G

gael45140

First point :
We use Excel but when I did a reverse pFMEA, I found that :
Quality division use survey plan
Industrialization division work on FMEA :(

So, now I have two files with few differences and we can't know what are good or not without losing time. :applause: my collegues

Second point :
When we need a new FMEA we lose a lot of time. we have to find a similar FMEA but I think it's not the good way.

With software, I think we didn't have these problems. But perhaps it's difficult to use this and people need learning to use.

Top Bottom