The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
ISO 9001 cl. 7.1.3 Infrastructure - How can a auditor audit this?
Please read this thread...
Software update
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
infrastructure, iso 9001:2015

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 10th April 2018, 06:38 PM
Quality27

Total Posts: 23
Question ISO 9001 cl. 7.1.3 Infrastructure - How can a auditor audit this?

Hi all,

I want to see if anyone has any thoughts on this clause:

"X Organization determined, provided and maintain the infrastructure necessary for the operation of its processes and to achieve conformity of products and services."

How can a auditor audit this? Especially, the maintain part? What is considered adequate maintenance? Should every place have a PM program in place?

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 11th April 2018, 01:03 AM
tony s

Total Posts: 138
Re: ISO 9001 cl. 7.1.3 Infrastructure - How can a auditor audit this?

Usually audit on clause 7.1.3 are done on processes where the condition of the infrastructure is critical in ensuring conformity to product/service requirements. For example if an organization depends on their own delivery truck to transport their products to customers' locations, the auditor would need to check whether preventive and corrective maintenance are implemented to ensure that the delivery truck is in good condition and is road worthy.
Thanks to tony s for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #3  
Old 11th April 2018, 03:04 AM
somashekar

Total Posts: 5,362

There are three things here.
Determine
Provide
Maintain

Determine : Ask ... How have you determined the infrastructure necessary. Look for any evidence, like a list, in management review or perhaps in some procedures, may be even responsible manager statements about what specific infrastructure is necessary.
Provide : Look for the same in the site. These can be in storage, handling and movement, lighting, Environment (like clean room, cold room etc) and more.
Critically examine from the various materials in use if any of them need any specific storage conditions, and if the same have been determined and provided. (ex. some shelflife sensitive items)
Maintain: Ask .. Who is responsible for maintaining and what is the procedure they follow. Ask about any AMC and how the same is managed. Look for competency of the person responsible for the maintaining task and records of maintaining. Check how maintenance requirement is received from users and how the same is given back to use after the maintenance work is completed, records of same.
Thanks to somashekar for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 11th April 2018, 09:44 AM
charanjit singh

Total Posts: 112

Tony is quite right. I think if they are maintaining the facilities, they have obviously provided them. But are they adequate? Well the auditor would certainly have some knowledge of the type of industry and the processes involved therein, when he/she goes for the audit. It is not difficult for an experienced auditor to spot whether Processes- manufacturing, storing or transporting etc.- are being carried out with facilities appropriate to the product requirements and are adequate. Of course he/she can ask for clarifications when in doubt.
  Post Number #5  
Old 16th April 2018, 03:00 PM
Kronos147

Total Posts: 301

If there is an audit, and the auditor asks to watch shipping, and the shipper stops to go borrow a forklift from the neighbor, and the neighbor is closed for a celebration of a Druid holiday, and the job cannot be loaded, would it be fair to say there is a nonconformance for infrastructure?

No? The company has their own forklift that broke because the PM program was no longer managed. Still no?

The last management review discussed the need for a new forklift and the person the project was assigned to didn't follow through.

Still no?

Last week, 10 of 15 orders did not ship and are now late because there was no fork lift.

Is there a problem now?
  Post Number #6  
Old 16th April 2018, 04:20 PM
Golfman25

Total Posts: 1,433

It's not really "auditable" in that you can't find a non-conformance. You can't force a company to upgrade their infrastructure. We went for year with inadequate infrastructure. If I don't have a forklift, I don't have a forklift. What can you do? Forklifts cost money. I suppose I can stop being audited and use that money for a forklift.
  Post Number #7  
Old 16th April 2018, 07:32 PM
AndyN

Total Posts: 9,039
Let Me Help You Re: ISO 9001 cl. 7.1.3 Infrastructure - How can a auditor audit this?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Golfman25 View Post

It's not really "auditable" in that you can't find a non-conformance. You can't force a company to upgrade their infrastructure. We went for year with inadequate infrastructure. If I don't have a forklift, I don't have a forklift. What can you do? Forklifts cost money. I suppose I can stop being audited and use that money for a forklift.
What? You can't find an nc because of the building condition? The roof leaking? The compressed air supply being contaminated? The electricity supply being inconsistent? A lack of IT support for computer issues? People who don't understand these types of things, shouldn't be auditing...
Thank You to AndyN for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #8  
Old 16th April 2018, 09:36 PM
Kronos147

Total Posts: 301

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Golfman25 View Post

It's not really "auditable" in that you can't find a non-conformance. You can't force a company to upgrade their infrastructure. We went for year with inadequate infrastructure. If I don't have a forklift, I don't have a forklift. What can you do?
Was there a plan to get their's repaired or get a new one eventually? Was there an agreement in an e-mail with the neighbor to use theirs? Were actions taken to ascertain the vacation days of the neighbor?

If the standard says you "shall", there can be an NC.

Forklift issue: If the loader went to go use it, it seemingly is a required resources.

Risk and opportunities means you address these risks, and mitigate as possible.

If it can impact product, i.e. that forklift issues means you can't ship, and you are about to miss a contractual deadline, that could be defined as a major non-conformance by a tenacious assessor.

Why not take actions and start an internal CAR for issues with a plan that very well may take years to address completely (buy a new forklift)? If you "can't" have a corrective action going that long, it's probably because of a procedure, and not the standard. Log it and update the issue every management review.

-Make the system effective. Based on context. If infrastructure is needed, provide\maintain\plan\think about it! (You do, just be ready to show objective evidence.)

-If it was a bad finding during the assessment, appeal to the registrar.
Thanks to Kronos147 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >