What is a Quality Management System (QMS)?

G

Greg B

Hi All,

I have been weighing up if I should post this or not but I have been prompted by a few members, that have helped review it for me. Thank you.

I have attached a slide show presentation (13 Slides) complete with Facilitator notes. (They are at the bottom of the screen or can be printed out as 'Notes pages' in the print options.) You will need to 'SAVE' it as a presentation if you want to view the Facilitators notes
I was prompted to write this Lesson as our QMS is in a rebuilding phase. Safety has been seen and pushed as the pre-eminent system and thus the whole culture of our company has been shifted to this philosophy. I, in turn, have now started to use the safety culture to get people to understand that 'Quality is to the product' what 'Safety is to the Person'. This presentation is aimed at a particular audience (operator level) and the control issues. It will require a post presentation to lead into the Business benefits and the 'Overall System Strategy' and this should be aimed more so at the Supervisors and Managers.
I understand that I should strive for an integrated system but one small step at a time. I agree with a Strategic System rather than a Quality System and ultimately my aim is to replace the QMS with a BMS (Business Management System) which will encompass the Safety, Environment, Commercial, Maintenance systems also. We have many of the business strategies in place with Balanced Score Card, a Business plan heavy on Achievable and Measurable KPIs, Strategy Meetings, Product Development etc but I want to also add our People Strategies and a few other areas.

This Presentation is NOT Preaching to the converted but rather endeavouring to Convert People to Preachers.
People learn Safety from life experiences, work and social culture. Quality does not have this benefit as it has been seen most commonly, in the past, as a Bureaucracy. As is evident by the reluctance of many managers and companies to adopt it. They need to see it in a new light and this is my starting point.

Thanks to those that prompted me

Greg Baker
Dip Mgmt, ADip Eng
Internal Systems Auditor & Quality Coordinator
I have spent 20 Years in the Australian Defence Force and the past 8 years as a dedicated Quality Coordinator/Manager in the Processing and Mining Industries

Attachments

• What_is_a_Quality_Management_System.ppt
    353.5 KB · Views: 4,313
Last edited by a moderator:
C

ccochran

Greg,

Great presentation! I really like how you compare the QMS to the safety and environmental systems, and gradually build the case for the importance of all three. I agree with you 110%: the ultimate objective is an integrated business management system. This is clearly a big step in that direction.

Have you used this presentation yet with your people? I'd be interested in how it goes and what kind of responses you get. Try to capture the responses you get from the flipchart exercises. You might get some interesting input.

Craig

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Craig Cochran
Center for International Standards and Quality
Georgia Institute of Technology

G

Greg B

Craig,

Thanks for the support. I actually wrote this because the cove opened this thread (it took me 2 days) but it was always to be used for my organisation. I am taking it to the GM in 15 minutes as I am discussing the QMS and the current Quality business plan (Where are we? Where are we supposed to be? What can we do differently? Do we need to change our strategy etc). It will be a lead in meeting for our quarterly Management Review.
I agree with keeping the responses to the flipchart exercises. We use them a lot in training sessions and they are a great tool to take back to Management reviews etc. We also take them back when we do refresher training and ask people the same questions, we then show them their responses from the previous year, to compare. It is usually an interesting exercise and you can get a really good snapshot of where you are with your training ie: Have they retained the Knowledge? Has the culture changed? Do we need to change areas of our training?

Greg B

G

Greg B

Hi All,

I realised yesterday that I had put the wrong title on my thread when posting . I hope the 'proper' title may entice some feedback.

Greg B

S

sal881vw

Great presentation Greg......very clear and down to earth.......gives you alot of room to think and elaborate at each point

K

keithm696 - 2008

Good Job Greg!

Very good slide show. Straight to the point and if they don't get it, then they may never get it.
Regards,
Keith

G

Greg B

Thanks Sal and Keith. Is there anything that you would add to the presentation? I am going to be deliverying it in a few weeks to all operators.

GregB

Govind

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Greg B,
If this is going to be your first ever presentation, then this is a great way to start. I like your emphasis on prevention as a common thread running across various system. Language is very simple and easy to understand. This is a great opening presentation for operators.

My suggestion is to maintain the common thread "prevention" in your future presentations also, so that every employee in your organization understands the QMS in its true intent.

Regards,
Govind.

Last edited:
G

Greg B

Govind said:
Greg B,
If this is going to be your first ever presentation, then this is a great way to start. I like your emphasis on prevention as a common thread running across various system. Language is very simple and easy to understand. This is a great opening presentation for operators.

My suggestion is to maintain the common thread "prevention" in your future presentations also, so that every employee in your organization understands the QMS in its true intent.

Regards,
Govind.

Thanks Govind,

I am working on the follow on presentations and yes people and prevention will be the key points in all lesson. I have a major presentation session with all supervisors and managers on the 14th of July so today I am setting out my training agenda. I'll keep everyone posted.

Greg B

A

alicelouise

Thanks Greg!
We're about to go for ISO9001 certification, and I'm putting together a presentation to explain to the rest of the company what we're doing and why. We've already got a compliant QMS, which everyone uses without really noticing... I've been trying to come up with a simple description of a QMS to explain what it actually is and does for us. The way you've approached it in your presentation is much simpler than I've seen elsewhere and has really helped!

Regards,
Alice.

Top Bottom