Creating a Tool to Track & Verify Mistake Proofing Devices

O

ownbyd

My manager has asked me to create a tool to track & verify mistake-proofing devices. I don't know where to start. Any advice?
Thanks for your help. :confused:

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Mistake Proofing

Are you asking about things like mistake proof fixtures (devices) or type of mistake proof concepts?

In either case, you may want to look at preventive action for something like this since this is what you are attempting to address.

A log might work well for the concepts as you will find that once you start mistake proofing, you will do a lot of small things that add up. In my case (and as an example), in the FAIR AS9102 form that I use, I took all the fields on page 2+ and had excel copy the results from the same field on Form 1. This reduced the typo mistakes like incorrect part number, bad date, etc. I then 'protected' the field so I could not accidentally erase the data. I then did a few other things that helped. All this, to me, would be classified as preventive action.

O

ownbyd

Hi Michael, Thanks for responding. What we will be working with is shop floor type issues. e.g. fixtures, machines, gages, etc...

I have a log started with columns noting the cell, current defect, proposed mistake proofing and a column for a verification check. I don't know if this is really what he expects but I had to get started somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource

I will be the first to say I do not truly understand Gage R&R properly, but what I do understand leads me to think that Gage R&R may be something you would want to look into.

However, and I do understand getting unclear directions, I think the first thing is to get some clarification as to what the desired result of having this log is:

What will you be trying to achieve with this log?
What benefit will this log have for the company?
What data are you trying to measure?

I would get with your manager and ask what he truly wants.

W

Wilderness Woody

My manager has asked me to create a tool to track & verify mistake-proofing devices. I don't know where to start. Any advice?
Thanks for your help. :confused:

Just as specific production processes that you develop and roll out into production have specific application and value, the various controls you put on the process (including inspection and error proofing functions) have general and specific variables.

Documenting the use of and effectiveness of specific error proofing techniques can create a valuable resource for future use "tool box" to draw from when new or modified processes are required. Physical devices used for completing the task may be adapted and shared between applications.

Those physical devices have capital expense related to them, so there should be proper documentation to keep track of them for depreciation and replacement as well.

I would want to ask a few questions of my manager to be clear of the underlying purpose of the request and then format the information in such as way that makes sense. The actual purpose may be a future process improvement blitz, pushing process planning, risk analysis or production expansion/replication. You won't know unless you ask, right? :eek:

O

ownbyd

Thank you Wilderness Woody...Good advice! I do know my Manager wants scrap reduction. That is the big push. But still he has been very vague as to what he actually wants to see. I will schedule a meeting to discuss further. Thank you again.

Top Bottom