J

jaspa

Dear colleagues,

can anyone advice me a describtion of this analysis method? :read:
Thanx a lot.

Q

qualitytoughnut - 2010

Re: IS - IS NOT analysis

This is one of the simplest tool for finding the root cause of a problem. Is-Is Not Analysis is a method of narrowing down or focusing by successively asking both 'What is it' and 'What is it not'.

For example, It is a suppliers problem, it is not an internal problem. It is an overseas supplier problem, it is not a domestic supplier problem. It is supply problem with bolts, it is not a supply problem with nuts.... and so on. Keep asking till you reach the root cause of the problem.

Hope it is clearer now. :cool:

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin

It is based on answering most of the 5W2Hs

What
What is the object with the defect?
What is the defect?

When
When was the defect first seen?
When else was the defect seen?
When in the life cycle was the defect seen?

Where
Where on the object was the defect seen?
Where geographically was the defect seen?

Who
What parties are involved?

How Much
How many units exhibit the defect?
How many defects per unit?
What rate of defects (e.g., %, PPM, etc.)?

After answering the Is question for the above questions, answer what the defect is not, but could have been.

Then identify the differences between the Is and the IS Not, any changes to the materials, process, detection method, etc. and theories as to how these could explain the defect.

This analysis is used to provide focused potential causes for further investigation, and alos provide a test for potential root causes. Root causes must account for all of the IS/Is Nots.

reynald

Quite Involved in Discussions
Last edited by a moderator:

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin

I learned the methodology back in the 1980's from "The New Rational Manager" by Charles Kepner and Benjamin Tregoe. I have found it very useful over my career.

Judging from the reviews, people either love it or hate it. The negative comments said that it was common sense. However, "common" sense seems rather uncommon today.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource

I first heard of it in a Ford TOPS training. I think it is a great tool when you have a cloud of information, but no clear direction as to where the information leads. Most of my issues have been pretty obvious - and the root cause has not been as difficult as determining an economically feasible corrective action. But, I can see it as a very good tool when used for the correct need. Using when you do not need to might frustrate people-that is why demanding to use every tool for every occasion is not a good idea. It would be like forcing you to use a Phillips screwdriver to fix a flat tire....just because it is in your toolbox.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin

Yes. I remember Ford used it in their TOPS training. They later had a falling out with K-T and removed it from the initial 8D material. I saw it again in the Global 8D, so they must have reconciled.

I agree that you use it only when appropriate. That is the way with all tools. Use the one that works for the task at hand.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource

We learned it in some Kepner - Tregoe training we brought on-site. Something pretty simple, but we all seem to forget to define what "is not" the problem.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

We learned it in some Kepner - Tregoe training we brought on-site. Something pretty simple, but we all seem to forget to define what "is not" the problem.

picture.php

The problem is that the animal in the picture is a cat, but there is an infinite number of things that it is not.

Top Bottom