How to identify Stakeholders in a Company

Geoff Cotton

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi All,

I'm heading a team which has the task of creating a "common global procedure" for the assessment of potential 1st tier suppliers. (At the moment each of our entities have their own procedure - and there are many entities)

The team, consisting of representatives from the major entities from various parts of the world, are, to be polite, a little stuck in their ways (and of course, want to protect their own procedures).

The challenge I've been given is to introduce better and more structured ways of executing projects. Such methods include understanding the Voice of the Customer and Stackholder Analysis.

Whilst I've got a method for the Stackholder Analysis, I've not got a tool/method for "Stakeholder Identfication".

Is there a simple tool out there that you would like to share?

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Re: How to identify stakeholders

I am used to seeing Stakeholders placed into one of 5 possible categories:

• Customer - in this case typically external, unless you're doing an internal VOC analysis
  • Community
  • Team (Employee)
  • Supplier - Vendor, utilities suppliers, etc.
  • Shareholder

Geoff Cotton

Hi Roxane,

Thanks for the light speed reply!

The customers are mainly internal, with our potential supplier(s) being external.

I guess what I'm seeking is some sort of template, before I go and create my own.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Sadly I am unable to provide a template. Our VOC teams were typically cross-functional, and because we incorporated those 5 categories as "headers" for Stakeholders, we identified many, including obvious and the not-so-obvious ones (such as utilities, Farmer John's field downstream, emergency services, etc.)

rob73

looking for answers
As part of a recent management course i was asked to list my stakeholders, the simplest way i found was to use a mind map, exploring all of my engagements and processes to find bottom level stakeholders. I know mind mapping not for everyone but it makes you think about what goes on around you and how you fit into the grand scheme of things.
Rob

Geoff Cotton

Hi Rob,

Many thanks.

I've been using mindmaps since the mid 90's, I think its a great tool.

I was thinking of using a mindmap for this project, but the difficulty is getting the whole teams input as we rarely meet face-to-face due to working in different time zones and cultures etc.

I'm not sure how I could get it to work in the hyper-space of our intranet.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Hi All,

I'm heading a team which has the task of creating a "common global procedure" for the assessment of potential 1st tier suppliers. (At the moment each of our entities have their own procedure - and there are many entities)

The team, consisting of representatives from the major entities from various parts of the world, are, to be polite, a little stuck in their ways (and of course, want to protect their own procedures).

The challenge I've been given is to introduce better and more structured ways of executing projects. Such methods include understanding the Voice of the Customer and Stackholder Analysis.

Whilst I've got a method for the Stackholder Analysis, I've not got a tool/method for "Stakeholder Identfication".

The best way to identify stakeholders is to do something and then wait for someone to tell you that they should have been informed in advance. :tg:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
ISO 26000:2010 contains 266 instances of the word stakeholder. Section 5.3.2 of the document deals with stakeholder identification. It reads:
5.3.2 Stakeholder identification

Stakeholders are organizations or individuals that have one or more interests in any decision or activity of an organization. Because these interests can be affected by an organization, a relationship with the organization is created. This relationship need not be formal. The relationship created by this interest exists whether or not the parties are aware of it. An organization may not always be aware of all its stakeholders, although it should attempt to identify them. Similarly, many stakeholders may not be aware of the potential of an organization to affect their interests.

In this context, interest refers to the actual or potential basis of a claim, that is, to demand something that is owed or to demand respect for a right. Such a claim need not involve financial demands or legal rights. Sometimes it can simply be the right to be heard. The relevance or ignificance of an interest is best determined by its relationship to sustainable development. Understanding how individuals or groups are or can be affected by an organization's decisions and activities will make it possible to identify the interests that establish a relationship with the organization. Therefore, the organization's determination of the impacts of its decisions and activities will facilitate identification of its most important stakeholders.

Organizations may have many stakeholders. Moreover, different stakeholders have various and sometimes competing interests. For example, community residents' interests could include the positive impacts of an organization, such as employment, as well as the negative impacts of the same organization, such as pollution.

Some stakeholders are an integral part of an organization. These include any members, employees or owners of the organization. These stakeholders share a common interest in the purpose of the organization and in its success. This does not mean, however, that all their interests regarding the organization will be the same.

The interests of most stakeholders can be related to the social responsibility of the organization and often are very similar to some of the interests of society. An example is the interest of a property owner whose property loses value because of a new source of pollution. Not all stakeholders of an organization belong to organized groups that have the purpose of representing their interests to specific organizations. Many stakeholders may not be organized at all, and for this reason, they may be overlooked or ignored. This problem may be especially important with regard to vulnerable groups and future generations. Groups advocating social or environmental causes may be stakeholders of an organization whose decisions and activities have a relevant and significant impact on these causes.

An organization should examine whether groups claiming to speak on behalf of specific stakeholders or advocating specific causes are representative and credible. In some cases, it will not be possible for important interests to be directly represented. For instance, children rarely own or control organized groups of people; wildlife cannot do so. In this situation, an organization should give attention to the views of credible groups seeking to protect such interests.

To identify stakeholders an organization should ask itself the following questions:
  • To whom does the organization have legal obligations?
  • Who might be positively or negatively affected by the organization's decisions or activities?
  • Who is likely to express concerns about the decisions and activities of the organization?
  • Who has been involved in the past when similar concerns needed to be addressed?
  • Who can help the organization address specific impacts?
  • Who can affect the organization's ability to meet its responsibilities?
  • Who would be disadvantaged if excluded from the engagement?
  • Who in the value chain is affected?

Top Bottom