Traceability in Press Shop - Metal Parts

E

Ehsan Heidari

How can I do traceability in press shop about metal parts?Can you suggest a system for doing that?

A

achorste

In our press shop, parts are identified by tags on each tin showing job number, part number, total quantity, tin number (for batches in multiple tins) & total number of tins.

In the first tin of each batch is the route card (or job traveller, whatever you want to call it).

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
In our press shop, parts are identified by tags on each tin showing job number, part number, total quantity, tin number (for batches in multiple tins) & total number of tins.

In the first tin of each batch is the route card (or job traveller, whatever you want to call it).

This sounds good for identification but unless the documentation also carries a reference to the batch number of the raw material (e.g. C of C) I wonder if this provides traceability?

A

achorste

Yes, sorry to mention, the route card identifies the raw material lot number.

E

Ehsan Heidari

Thanks, can you show us a sample of route card?

A

achorste

Sorry Ehsan, I completely forgot - My bad!

I've attached a mock up we used for one of the first drafts of our production router for the new ERP system implementation. We have tried to keep it simple.

Attachments

• ROUTE CARD - elsmar.doc
    38 KB · Views: 308
E

Ehsan Heidari

Sorry Ehsan, I completely forgot - My bad!

I've attached a mock up we used for one of the first drafts of our production router for the new ERP system implementation. We have tried to keep it simple.

Thanks achorste,
but It seems some problems in this method, for example in our press line we have 20 press machines that each of them produce above 6000 parts! In other hand we cut 10000 parts with machine A in one shift but we 3000 parts of them with machine B two days later and 3 days later we form else of them with machine D in 3 shifts! what can I do now?

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
While working on critical systems in the navy, as I recall our parts identification system included, in addition to the part's identifying number, the date made, lot number, place made (in code).

Caster

An Early Cover
Trusted Information Resource
Thanks achorste
but It seems some problems in this method, for example in our press line we have 20 press machines that each of them produce above 6000 parts! In other hand we cut 10000 parts with machine A in one shift but we 3000 parts of them with machine B two days later and 3 days later we form else of them with machine D in 3 shifts! what can I do now?

High volume makes tagging each part almost impossible.

Have you done a review of traceability requirements? The amount of traceability is either called out by the customer or can be a risk based decision for your company.

If there are no customer demands, you can decide if you need traceability to the part, hour, shift, day, week, month, year....it all depends on how much risk of product recall/liability your company is prepared to take.

There must be some kind of production scheduling system already in place, could you simply add material lot numbers to it? For example lot 123ABC was running on a date/time.

Another thought is to work back wards from shipping. How are the parts identified for traceability when they get shipped? Could you add material lot numbers to that system?

Good luck!

Top Bottom