List of Problem Solving Methods (not tools)

Q

QE

Dear All

I am trying to compile a list of problem solving methods (not tools), can we all contribute and learn from each other.

- QE

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Problem Solving Methods

what's the difference between a method and a tool?

Q

QE

8D or a CAPA will be a method. 5 why analysis, DOEs, Process CApability analysis will be the tools used.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator

8D or a CAPA will be a method. 5 why analysis, DOEs, Process CApability analysis will be the tools used.

Are you saying that a method is a collection of tools?

CAPA is bigger than problem solving in my world. You solve problems as the result of a CAPA.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Be cautious with labels and contents...

For me content counts, not necessarily the label.

Some definitions.

Wikipedia reference-linkmethod.

Wikipedia reference-linktool.

Stijloor.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader

:topic: No need for 'yes sir' and such. We like to stay somewhat informal.

I

issueoffacts

Are you saying that a method is a collection of tools?

CAPA is bigger than problem solving in my world. You solve problems as the result of a CAPA.
Reading your comments and the quoted "items" (8D, DOE, etc..) I suspect to be out of the context perhaps, but i'll try anyway.

Problem solving methods could be TRIZ, FAST, QFD and so on: all that helps to achieve a "concept" solution, while I cannot figure out what problem solving tools could be (once one has established them to be different from methods); I mean, all that one can use to develop a concept till implementation can be considered a tool, but just no more a "problem solving" tool.

I relate <problem solving> to <concept>, for this reason for me you can use in the wording method or tool without distinction..

Sorry if I've missed some slang, I'm not an English native speaker.

S

Sturmkind

One method that has been useful is 'Halving'. If the process/system was explicitly defined for each process/system step, then ask which half of the system exhibits the problem. Once identified, continue to cut the process/system steps in half until what remains is the isolated step or factors that are likely the primary contributors.

Naturally, this was ineffective for some complex factor interactions where the formal DOE tools would be useful.

M

M Greenaway

Well the full 8D method is a good one, you might also look up Kepner Tregoe and TapRoot, althought their methods are trademarked so information is difficult to obtain freely on the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom