AS9100:2009 Process Checklist (Contract Review) - Feedback wanted

K

knorly999

Attached is a process based checklist that my organization has developed for the contract review process. I'm looking for some constructive feedback from Quality Professionals on Elsmar Cove. My organization K&S Quality Associates has developed additional process checklist like this one for design, product realization, purchasing, etc. But they are all in draft format that we would like to make available for Free after we fine tone the checklist.. Please post your comments...

Attachments

• Contract_Review_Process_Audit_Checklist_AS.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,502

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Attached is a process based checklist that my organization has developed for the contract review process. I'm looking for some constructive feedback from Quality Professionals on Elsmar Cove. My organization K&S Quality Associates has developed additional process checklist like this one for design, product realization, purchasing, etc. But they are all in draft format that we would like to make available for Free after we fine tone the checklist.. Please post your comments...

Hi Knorly999, welcome to The Cove forums. :bigwave:

Since you're asking for feedback, and they're still in draft format, I'll be brutally honest:

I took a quick look at it. The general format is very similar to the AS9101 Rev C checklist (which I don't particularly like) which is used for AS9100 Rev B audits. This checklist has been deleted in AS9101 Rev D. I don't like this format for two main reasons: 1) The questions are all yes/no, and lead inexperienced auditors to ask closed ended questions. 2) The objective evidence is recorded on the bottom of the page, with no real correlation to each question. My preference is to have the space to record objective evidence in line with the requirement on the page. This ensures that each has been accounted for.

Pages 1-4 are "Generic Process Questions" and as such they look like they could be applied to many processes. In this case there are some questions that just plain don't apply to the contract review process that this checklist is supposed to be for (such as ESD, clean room, calibrated equipment, and equipment maintenance).

Pages 5-7 are labeled "Process Specific Questions" and contain sequential clause-based text reworded from AS9100. Not what I'd expect to see in a "process checklist."

Pages 8-10 are pages where a user can add specific questions from procedures or work instructions. If I was really doing a process audit, I would want to add these in between other questions in the checklist, not in a section of their own. The PDF does have fillable fields here, but there's a limit of six questions total available in the PDF file - probably not enough.

Page 11 is a modified version of the AS9101 Rev D Process Effectiveness Assessment Report (PEAR) which includes less detail, but adds a place to include "Minor Findings" and "OFI's". Apparently no Major nonconformities can be found in this audit?

Page 12 is a turtle diagram. In my world, the turtle would be the first page to be used in audit planning, not the last page where it seems like an afterthought.

I've certainly seen worse checklists, but I believe I've also seen much better. For a real process audit checklist, I'd expect the whole thing to flow along with the sequence of the process itself. This one has several disjointed sections that the auditor would have to flip back and forth between to complete an audit. The fact that it's in PDF makes it very difficult to customize for a process that doesn't match a cookie-cutter generic process.

I hope I haven't been too brutal, and I hope you'll take the feedback above as constructive criticism. I look forward to seeing the finished results.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions

I agree with "howste"- it is long and as an auditor I would fill like I am only checking the yes and no column to get with the program. Try to think of it as a process with opportunities to improve the flow and most important to add value to the system. People would be more receptive to providing feedback. (try open ended questions).

K

knorly999

Howste,

Thanks for your feedback... We have reviewed some of your suggestions and created a revised document. Please feel free to criticize....

Attachments

• Contract Review Process Audit AS[1].pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,528
Last edited by a moderator:
K

kiwisfly

Hi Knorly99,
Have you done the AATT, if so, you will see that AS Auditors are required to use the Process Approach in their auditing? AS9101D is comprehensive in what is required. I think your checklist is way too long, particularly if you are using these for internal audits. The Turtle should/could be used for your questions as well as recording your evidence, I would focus more on the process itself including process performance and effectiveness.

I think the wide range of questions you have, and their generic nature, doesn't actually force the auditor to focus on what will make this process effective and/or whether all aspects of the 'contract review' process are being tested. Also, how have you defined Contract Review, does it include all aspects of planning for product realization (7.1) through the customer communication (7.2.3)? If so, where is the assessment of RM, CM, PM or work transfer in taking on a new or amended work contract??

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Top Bottom