Mechanical Drawing Version Change

alonFAI

Involved In Discussions
Hi guys

lets say I build a product, and I have 50 drawing (mechanical drawings of the different parts the product is consisting of), If I change 1 drawing (it was version 0, and now it is version 1), should I change the version in all of the other 50 drawings??

thanks you all!!!

Alon:applause:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Good day alonFAI,

No, revision changes are specific to the document being changed unless those other 49 pages are 2 of 50, 3 of 50, 4 of 50 etc. all in one document.

That said, if there is a change in one mechanical drawing it would be good practice to review one or more of the others to see if they are also affected by the one drawing's change.

I hope this helps!

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
I will add, if drawing 14 (example) is an assembly drawing and that drawing calls for drawing 1, revision 0 then it too would need updating to require Revision 1.

P

PaulJSmith

I go through this with one of our engineers, who insists on always changing other drawings just to match revision levels. While it's certainly convenient to be able to search for all of the same revision levels, it's quite maddening (and I feel unnecessary) to have to process all those through the system with only "to match revision level" as the reason for the change. Our products aren't that complicated, so there aren't 50 documents to change every time. I can't imagine ...

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
I go through this with one of our engineers, who insists on always changing other drawings just to match revision levels. While it's certainly convenient to be able to search for all of the same revision levels, it's quite maddening (and I feel unnecessary) to have to process all those through the system with only "to match revision level" as the reason for the change. Our products aren't that complicated, so there aren't 50 documents to change every time. I can't imagine ...

Seems especially awkward if the following scenario played out:

Q: Why did the drawings for part B Through Part Z change from Rev 2 to 3?

A: Because part A was revised from 2 to 3.

:confused:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Hi guys

lets say I build a product, and I have 50 drawing (mechanical drawings of the different parts the product is consisting of), If I change 1 drawing (it was version 0, and now it is version 1), should I change the version in all of the other 50 drawings??

thanks you all!!!

If I understand correctly, you have an assembly with 50 components and one of them changes. You're asking if you also have to change th revision level of the other 49? If this is the case, no. The top-level assembly should also be revision control, and if one of the components has a revision change, then the top level should change too, but the other components shouldn't be affected.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Hi guys

thanks you all!!!

There is an ASME Standard which covers this topic.

Revision of Engineering Drawings and Associated Documents Y14.35M - 1997

In particular, this Standard addresses the issue of what Associated Documents (a specific term) need to be reviewed and referenced and/or also revised.

In general, most companies indicate their engineering drawings adhere to Y14.100 (the Engineering Drawing Standard), but few companies actually have a copy of the Standard anywhere on the premises. This is because there is no general requirement to adhere to such Standard.

Most of the Y14.100 and Y14.35 are derived from the original Military Drawing Standards (DOD-STD-100, MILITARY STANDARD: ENGINEERING DRAWING PRACTICES), so if you have a copy (regardless of the edition) and follow it, you will probably be conforming to whatever your customers or regulatory bodies want.

It may be important to note for some readers that the idea of revisioning documents and "harmonizing" those revisions with their Associated Documents is the basis of Configuration Management.

I first wrote a brief explanation of Configuration Management in a real life situation here in the Cove more than eight years ago
The basis of Configuration Management is to do the following, more or less simultaneously:
  1. go through a formal process of revision and approval when you change any aspect of the part or document
  2. make a determination about the compatibility of the changed part or document with all the other Associated Documents (a specific term)
  3. determine if any of the Associated Documents must be revised to be compatible in form, fit, or function with the original changed document
  4. notify all parties who may be concerned about the change and get acknowledgment that change is implemented and obsolete documents or processes are withdrawn
  5. monitor the process to ensure all the changes work together
That may seem overly complicated. Let's explore a very simple change and see how the steps above would fit in.

One of my favorite examples I frequently use (to carry a premise of saving on assembly cost) is switching from Phillips Head fasteners to Torx drive or square drive fasteners for more efficient assembly. (Form and Fit of thread profile and length are the same, fastener Function remains - service personnel may need notice to add Torx driver to kit, but can replace with current stock of Phillips head)

On the surface, this is a simple change, but consider:
  1. organization needs to make a formal document change on the part, checking and approving the change.
  2. We check the compatibility with the mating parts, but we also have to
  3. change work instruction, assembly tools, inventory (use up old inventory first?), purchasing (same or different supplier? same or different price?), repair instructions sent to field personnel, pricing on the final product, advertising, etc.
  4. notify all parties - quality inspectors, assembly workers, quality inspectors at customer, suppliers, inventory clerks, repair stations, decide whether repair stations can continue to repair with Phillips head in inventory or must implement new Torx, decide whether recall is necessary to change out old parts,
  5. continue to monitor how all parties adapt to and implement change and decide whether further modification of any of the steps is necessary
All of us go through these steps consciously or unconsciously. The key is to do the steps purposefully and consistently and to record the steps as they are completed to assure optimum efficiency. (It would be foolish to scrap or sell off all the old Phillips head fasteners and order in all new Torx ones, only to discover no one had thought to order new Torx drivers.)

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Hi guys

thanks you all!!!

It depends on the type of change and the effect. You assess this when you do the ECN for a drawing change.

Top Bottom