ISO 9001:2008 - Can I still conduct Internal Audits in my company?

J

jbarajas90

hi guys I have a few questions.

I am new to iso and just got certified for 2015. my company still abides to 9001:2008. my question is if I am certified in 2015 can I still conduct internal audits on my company that is 2008? or would that be a non conformance since I am not qualified to the 2008 standard

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Re: ISO 9001:2008 audit question

It sounds like you took an ISO 9001:2015 auditing class, and you want to know if you are qualified to audit to ISO 9001:2008.

The short answer is no, unless you have somehow learned the requirements of the 2008 version somewhere else.

The long answer is this: Your organization defines the requirements for qualification of internal auditors and to verify competence (2008 clause 6.2.2). If the only way you learned about ISO 9001 was in an ISO 9001:2015 class, you would not be able to demonstrate competence for the requirements of ISO 9001:2008. Your company should have defined internal auditor qualification requirements somewhere. You should ask whoever owns the internal audit process where it is documented. It can typically be found in an internal audit procedure, job description, etc.

Golfman25

hi guys I have a few questions.

I am new to iso and just got certified for 2015. my company still abides to 9001:2008. my question is if I am certified in 2015 can I still conduct internal audits on my company that is 2008? or would that be a non conformance since I am not qualified to the 2008 standard

My take is if you went thru formal 2015 training, you should be able to back track to 2008 as long as you can read/interpret the standard. Training is usually 2 elements. 1) how to audit and 2) what's in the standard. 1 is essentially transferable. 2 can be learned from reading the standard. The 2008 and 2015 are similar enough, you should be able to do it.

howste

Thaumaturge

1 is essentially transferable. 2 can be learned from reading the standard. The 2008 and 2015 are similar enough, you should be able to do it.
Agreed. Just make sure that whatever you do meets your organizations qualification requirements.

J

jbarajas90

ok thanks for the fast replies and information.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Re: ISO 9001:2008 - Can I still conduct internal audits on my company?

My take - If they are internal audits, you are auditing company processes, not to the standard. :2cents:

howste

Thaumaturge
Re: ISO 9001:2008 - Can I still conduct internal audits on my company?

My take - If they are internal audits, you are auditing company processes, not to the standard. :2cents:

ISO 9001 requires both:
ISO 9001:2008 said:
The organization shall conduct internal audits at planned intervals to determine whether the quality management system
a) conforms to the planned arrangements, to the requirements of this International Standard and to the quality management system requirements established by the organization...
ISO 9001:2015 said:
The organization shall conduct internal audits at planned intervals to provide information on whether the quality management system;
a. conforms to:
1. the organization’s own requirements for its quality management system;
2. the requirements of this International Standard...

Randy

Super Moderator
The only requirement is that you be competent.

Training is not a requirement unless your internal procedure specifically calls for it. You can have all the training in the world and be a krappy auditor

If I as a 3rd party auditor (which is all I do, nothing else) see that you are competent in planning, conducting and reporting internal audits AND your internal audit program does not say that you HAVE TO BE trained, I'd not have a problem

Top Bottom