FAA Regulations: Is it ever OK to sign off on nonconforming type certified parts?

apestate

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello all

This should be my very last question regarding FAA regulations. :>

When a TSO / PMA part is produced to a set of drawings, who has the authority to sign off on nonconformances?

Would it make sense that a PMA company could sign off on little discrepancies using their own internal judgment? To be practical, let's say a sheet metal piece is brake pressed to 90° and the requirement of length is on the blueprint as +/- .010" ... when the result is off by .020" ?

B

BadgerMan

Re: Is it ever OK to sign off on nonconforming type certified parts?

You, as the design approval holder should have the authority to sign off on minor nonconformances (those that do not affect the product's fit, form, or function). A major nonconformance (one that affected the fit, form, or function) would negate the design approval and would not be allowed.

J

Jason PCSwitches

You, as the design approval holder should have the authority to sign off on minor nonconformances (those that do not affect the product's fit, form, or function). A major nonconformance (one that affected the fit, form, or function) would negate the design approval and would not be allowed.

Spot-on, Spot-on :agree1:

B

BadgerMan

Subpart K does not provide for an MRB. Look at 21.303(h).

Check the "Future Effective CFR by Part" page, specifically, 21.307 and 21.137(h).

Also, 8100.7, Appendix D, Part E, Question 529 gives a good overview of the requirements for MRB.

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
Check the "Future Effective CFR by Part" page, specifically, 21.307 and 21.137(h).

Also, 8100.7, Appendix D, Part E, Question 529 gives a good overview of the requirements for MRB.
I guess the operative word is "future".

J

Jason PCSwitches

I was told that it would become effective 18 months from the date of the release of the final rule which would mean a drop dead date of 4/16/2011. I am told that PAH's need to have their quality systems compliant with the new rule by that date.

http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/air_cert/production_approvals/14cfr_amendments/

That is correct. Every organization needs to have approval or at least submit the required documents by that date. Though they are somewhat hard to get in-touch with, your MIDO should have either contacted your organization or payed a visit. The FAA has sent several letters out on this, I can attach a copy if anyone is affected, but to be honest if you are an AS certified organization, not much change is required. Only the pleasure of reading threw that long final rule which I currently use to put my 4 y/o to sleep at night.

L

Lynn78801

article should be refered to the MRB board, the MRB action and the PMAs pre approved by the FAA's methoid of approving minor descrepancys should provide means to give article final inspection.

Top Bottom