Is RECORD a Control Method?

A

ankey

One question: if we can say that RECORD is a control method for manufacture process?
Some parts are 100% in-process inspected, but we still required to record several results every 4 hours for example. For sure, this is manual process even some test meter can not record results.

Any comments?

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
One question: if we can say that RECORD is a control method for manufacture process?
Some parts are 100% in-process inspected, but we still required to record several results every 4 hours for example. For sure, this is manual process even some test meter can not record results.

Any comments?

Your control method is that "parts are 100% in-process inspected." That is how you are controlling the parts and protecting the customer. Whatever records you make are evidence of the results. The records themselves do not control anything.

C

Coleman Donnelly

In my experience I would say no - this is not a control method. Can you argue that it is to an auditor? Thats a different quesiton.

In my opinion a control method is only a control method if it removes the oportunity for a mistake to occur.

An inspection record is filled out by a person who can easily make a mistake when filling out the record. I have also seen many times where even when a part is bad the record is not filled out correctly, instead the process would stop and special events occur. This record does not prevent the bad part from escaping containment. The question than becomes what in your process does prevent your part from escaping containment? That is the control method.

A

ankey

In my experience I would say no - this is not a control method. Can you argue that it is to an auditor? Thats a different quesiton.

In my opinion a control method is only a control method if it removes the oportunity for a mistake to occur.

An inspection record is filled out by a person who can easily make a mistake when filling out the record. I have also seen many times where even when a part is bad the record is not filled out correctly, instead the process would stop and special events occur. This record does not prevent the bad part from escaping containment. The question than becomes what in your process does prevent your part from escaping containment? That is the control method.

We usually fill in CONTROL PLAN with RECORD DOCUMENT NUMBER as Control Method. So, what would be better based on your experience in this column of "Control Method"?

G

GoKats78

I think the OP meant re-cord (To set down for preservation in writing or other permanent form.) not rec-ord ( Information or data on a particular subject collected and preserved)

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
I think the OP meant re-cord (To set down for preservation in writing or other permanent form.) not rec-ord ( Information or data on a particular subject collected and preserved)

I believe there's some confusion:
Record (Verb) i.e. To record inspection results..
Record (Noun) i.e. Having a record available..

Let the OP clarify...

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
We usually fill in CONTROL PLAN with RECORD DOCUMENT NUMBER as Control Method. So, what would be better based on your experience in this column of "Control Method"?

I would see SPC , for example, or Inspection and staff like that concerning with the way you use for control.

J

JiteshLad

Record is not a control method, it is a evidence of completion of activity.
Activity can be a standard operating procedure.

Top Bottom