APICS CPIM (Certification in Production and Inventory Management)

V

VT-IE

Has anyone here gotten their Certification in Production and Inventory Management through APICS? I was just wondering about the level of difficulty or if anyone had any study recommendations.

Thanks,
Andy

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Apics Cpim

I haven't because my production paradigm is in line with Lean/Toyota Production System.

My suggestion would be to research what philosophies and methodologies APICs certifies to and decide what methods and philosophies you want to learn and have. Then research how hard it is to acquire that knowledge and skill.

In a nutshell: if we reduce set up times, non value add processing and improve quality we will get reduced lead times and will no longer need forcasting, large batches (so called "optimum order/build quantities") or tons of raw material inventory.

APICs core belief is the exact opposite. I knwo people who have gotten their certification and I'm constantly teaching them to think differently and operate differently in a Lean world.

You may find that you like the APICs approach more than the Lean approach, but at least it will be a cognitive decision.

W

wmarhel

Bev brings up some very valid points, and I agree with her. I'm a member of APICS as well and have completed two tests out of the five module requirement for the CPIM. That is currently on hold right now due to my MBA, but I have earned their CSCP (Certified Supply Chain Professional) designation.

APICS does still somewhat adhere to the more traditional concepts such as using EOQ (Economic Order Quantity). But I really think that it is because they follow the thought process behind the MRP/ERP systems that will be used for most of the tasks. Heck, they even teach the manual calculations behind an MRP.

I would recommend the certification as it does provide a framework, and can offer some consistency in the techniques that are so often employed.

Wayne

Last edited by a moderator:
V

VT-IE

Bev, can you recommend any certifications for the lean production paradigm?

Bev brings up some very valid points, and I agree with her. I'm a member of APICS as well and have completed two tests out of the five module requirement. That is currently on hold right now due to my MBA. I have earned their CSCP (Certified Supply Chain Professional) designation.

APICS does still somewhat adhere to the more traditional concepts such as using EOQ (Economic Order Quantity). But I really think that it is because they follow the thought process behind the MRP/ERP systems that will be used for most of the tasks. Heck, they even teach the manual calculations behind an MRP.

I would recommend the certification as does provide a framework and can offer some consistency in the techniques that are so often employed.

Wayne

You've completed 2/5 modules for CPIM or CSCP? My understanding is you take all 5 tests in the same sitting and you only gain your certification if you pass all 5 modules.

Thanks,
Andy

W

wmarhel

Sorry, I had to run to a meeting and hit the post prematurely.

I have passed two out of the five modules for the CPIM. The CSCP is only one comprehensive test.

The first book in the CSCP training program is essentially the same material as the first module of the CPIM program, "Basics of Supply Chain Management". Regardless of what program/s you choose, I would highly recommend the book, "Introduction to Materials Management" by JR Tony Arnold and Steve Chapman. It is a primary reference for the CPIM and is a reference for the CSCP.

Wayne

V

VT-IE

I thought you took all 5 module tests at the same time. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Andy

W

wmarhel

I thought you took all 5 module tests at the same time. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Andy

Technically, I suppose you could take all five tests in the same day, but I'm not aware of that even being offered. I think your allotted three hours for a test, so that would be 15 hours of time required.

The tests can be taken on your own schedule, and in any order you choose. Although it really makes the most sense to do them in their intended progression. The fifth module should definitely be left for last based on conversations I've had with others.

The best bet is to start at the webpage for the CPIM, and then contact APICS or your local chapter with any specific concerns. The chapter I was a member of, had a few people complete all the training courses and tests in 15 months. But that was the best timeframe I've seen and that did include sitting through the APICS' training for each module.

Wayne

V

VT-IE

Technically, I suppose you could take all five tests in the same day, but I'm not aware of that even being offered. I think your allotted three hours for a test, so that would be 15 hours of time required.

The tests can be taken on your own schedule, and in any order you choose. Although it really makes the most sense to do them in their intended progression. The fifth module should definitely be left for last based on conversations I've had with others.

The best bet is to start at the webpage for the CPIM, and then contact APICS or your local chapter with any specific concerns. The chapter I was a member of, had a few people complete all the training courses and tests in 15 months. But that was the best timeframe I've seen and that did include sitting through the APICS' training for each module.

Wayne

I've done a fair amount of research on the website, but obviously not enough. Thanks for the clarification!

T

thenewguy

Hi Andy,

Can you check our website. we providing the CSCP, APICS Exam Simulation Software. www[dot]scmscorp[dot]com

Regards,
thenewguy

Top Bottom