How do you reference a WI (Work Instruction) to a procedure?

M

mickeld - 2005

Once you have a WI, how do you reference it to a procedure? I have a few for people on the production line, so do I need to reference them to a specific procedure? :confused:

I have some procedures that reference WI's (i.e. receiving inspection reference to the receiving WI) and I have WI's that reference to some records/forms. Do all the WI's need referencing? Help me out with this annoying thing to me! :frust:

Any help with this is greatly appreciated. If you need clarification just ask me...i check regularly.

Peace out...

The Taz!

Quite Involved in Discussions
mickeld said:
Once you have a WI, how do you reference it to a procedure? I have a few for people on the production line, so do I need to reference them to a specific procedure? :confused:

I have some procedures that reference WI's (i.e. receiving inspection reference to the receiving WI) and I have WI's that reference to some records/forms. Do all the WI's need referencing? Help me out with this annoying thing to me! :frust:

Any help with this is greatly appreciated. If you need clarification just ask me...i check regularly.

Peace out...

OK. . . you can have a section in your procedures for References. This is a good place to reference WI's. You should also mention"applicable" WI in the text somewhere as needed.

What I have found is that there are a few different types of WI's though, and may be handled differently;

System Work Instructions, General Manufacturing Work Instructions, and process/machine/product specific Work Instructions.

Where you have a multitude of WI's that pertain to production, you may want to reference the WI series (MWI-XXX series), system and general manufacturing WI's are usually one referenced document.

JMHO. . .

M

mshell

Our shop floor instructions are referenced in our Production procedure and our inspection instructions are referenced in our shop floor instructions. We then add a link to each reference document inside the higher level document. This allows the user to navigate through every document required to fulfill the procedure from within the top level document.

M

MelindaN

Try to make it easy for all

Make your documents work for you and your personnel. I try to look at document usage from the viewpoint of the end user as well as anyone who may be auditing the system. During an internal audit it makes this simple if related documentation flows from procedure to work instruction. If the system is not firmly established I would suggest referencing from work instruction back to procedures as well. We have Hyperlinks built into our documenation so if you are viewing a document you can click on the name of a referenced document and "Jump" to it from inside the original document. This makes thing simple for auditors and plant floor personnel. The bottom line is to make your system work for you!!! :magic:

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
MelindaN said:
If the system is not firmly established I would suggest referencing from work instruction back to procedures as well.

Even if the Management System is well-established, I really enjoy seeing links and information flow that goes not only top-down, but upwards, too.

This means that if I completely, utterly, totally forget how to fill in an Internal Audit Report for example, I can read the WI for it and then link back up to the procedure to understand how it ties in to the entire process.

But great idea, Melinda!

The Taz!

RCBeyette said:
Even if the Management System is well-established, I really enjoy seeing links and information flow that goes not only top-down, but upwards, too.

This means that if I completely, utterly, totally forget how to fill in an Internal Audit Report for example, I can read the WI for it and then link back up to the procedure to understand how it ties in to the entire process.
But great idea, Melinda!

And just to add to my agile friends words above, a self-instructing form is the best kind. . . you do not need a separate work instruction to tell you how to fill out the form or what to do with it. Any references are always a good idea to indicate on the form.

I like to minimize the number of work instructions at the system level. A sound procedure with a flowchart, referencing the form(s) (In the procedure text and the flowchart) is more than adequate.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
The Taz! said:
And just to add to my agile friends words above, a self-instructing form is the best kind. . . you do not need a separate work instruction to tell you how to fill out the form or what to do with it. Any required references are always a good idea.

I like to minimize the number of work instructions at the system level. A sound procedure with a flowchart, referencing the form(s) (In the procedure text and the flowchart) is more than adequate.

Totally agree, but wanted a nice simple example demonstrating how information and links that work both ways are beneficial in case a person experiences a serious Vulcan Mind Dump. :D

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
gpainter said:
Here is what we did

QM 4.10
SP 4.10
WI 10-01
FM 10-01

I don't think I'm operating on all thrusters this morning....can you explain this cryptic list (or so it appears to me) to me, please?

The Taz!

RCBeyette said:
I don't think I'm operating on all thrusters this morning....can you explain this cryptic list (or so it appears to me) to me, please?

Roxy. . . have another pot of Italian coffee. . . even I got that one. . . :lmao:

Procedure relates to requirement. . . WI relates to procedure. . . form relates to WI

I like to use a similar format:

Req't: 7.6

Procedure: SI-760-1

WI: WI-7601-1

Form: F-760101-1

You always know what the next level document is, and what MAIN requirement you are addressing.

Top Bottom