Can a Lead Auditor Train other Auditors?

tpeott

Registered
My corporate quality guy says that the QM's here at our company have to take LEAD AUDITOR training to have the ability train other auditors.

I dont recall, EVER seeing that anywhere that that is a requirement to be competent to train people ????

Is he wrong in his thinking or am i crazy ????

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
My corporate quality guy says that the QM's here at our company have to take LEAD AUDITOR training to have the ability train other auditors.

I don't recall, EVER seeing that anywhere that that is a requirement to be competent to train people ????

Is he wrong in his thinking or am i crazy ????

The trainer must be competent to train others.
The trainees must be competent after the training and practice audits.

There are industry specific Standards that require internal audit trainers to possess certain competencies. (IATF 16949:2016) is an example.

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
For AS9100c, our procedure says someone who has gone through lead auditor training can train internal auditors. It gives some specific requirements such as:

Trainee auditor must perform 2x internal audits under supervision without assistance before they are allowed to perform audits independently. I put this in so we have something to test competency of training with.

R

randomname

Whether or not you're crazy I'll leave to the mental health professionals, but having lead auditor status would not necessarily mean the individual is a qualified trainer. It's one thing to have knowledge, it's another to be able to impart it effectively.

Randy

Super Moderator
99 times out of 100 having Lead Auditor status does not make for a competent trainer. Trust me, after teaching a couple hundred accredited Lead Auditor courses for 9001, 14001, 18001 and a couple other things I've learned the truth on this one.:lol:

Top Bottom