Mil-Spec Hardware (MS, AN, NAS) Suppliers on AS9100 Approved Suppliers List

M

Msandman

Hey Everyone,

I have a question on AS9100 requirements for approved suppliers. If I have a supplier that is supplying Mil-Spec Hardware (MS, AN, NAS), do they need to be on my approved supplier list? All parts come with C of C, but not sure whether those suppliers needed to be listed. If they do need to be listed, then they have to go thru the approval process :confused:?? If anyone could give me some clarification on when a supplier needs to be approved and when they don't, that would help out tremendously!

Thanks,
Mark

D

D.Scott

Re: AS9100 Approved Suppliers

Hey Everyone,

I have a question on AS9100 requirements for approved suppliers. If I have a supplier that is supplying Mil-Spec Hardware (MS, AN, NAS), do they need to be on my approved supplier list? All parts come with C of C, but not sure whether those suppliers needed to be listed. If they do need to be listed, then they have to go thru the approval process :confused:?? If anyone could give me some clarification on when a supplier needs to be approved and when they don't, that would help out tremendously!

Thanks,
Mark

Welcome to the Cove Mark.

What does your procedure say? If it says in your approval process that they are exempt from some of the approval process steps then they would be exempt. If it doesn't cover it at all, then they would have to go through all the steps.

As for them supplying Mil Spec hardware, my opinion is they still have to be approved and on your approved supplier list. You may well have different approval criteria for them but one way or the other they have to be approved.

Clarification on the need to be included can be started with the requirement in 7.4.1 - "........ the effect of purchased product on subsequent product realization or the final product". Building on that, I include all suppliers that have ANY direct effect. That way you tend not to miss someone you may think you don't have to include but the auditor thinks you do.

Dave

M

Msandman

Thanks for the reply Dave,

Unfortunately our procedure is quite vague to say the least and doesn't address this specifically. I'm trying to get a clearer picture of what needs to be included when approving suppliers.

I have been told by more than one person to "keep it simple", but doing that at times seems to leave bases uncovered and an opening for an auditor to find something.

I have had one audit from an outside company that requires us to be AS9100 compliant to be one of their suppliers. The subject of approved suppliers came up, but I wasn't real clear on the requirements. I have read the AS9100 standard and as you well know, it's subject to interpetation at times.

So from your reply, I should approve and list any supplier that has anything to do with the final product? We install de-icing systems on small airplanes and use mil-spec hardware for the installs. How do I keep the approval process simple for a supplier like this? One other question...on the subject of random sampling from outside suppliers. Needs to be all the time?? Is the C of C OK to accept product and not sample?? or do you need a delegated inspection authority for suppliers?

You'll have to excuse my ingnorance. This is my first exposure to AS9100 and the certification process. When I took over we had a quality manual and a few procedures and that's about it. This forum has been a great source for information with plenty of knowledgable people. Thanks for all the help!

Mark

F

Frank T.

Mark, according to AS9100 7.4.1 a) The organization "shall" maintain a register of approved suppliers that includes scope of the approval.

b thru e are required after a) has been acheived. I have attached an example of a supplier scope for your reference.

As far as is C of C ok to accept product and not sample?? How would this comply with AS9100 7.4.3 Verification of Purchased Product?

Whats required to approve a supplier is subject to your interpretation/requirements. Do you have any SQR's (Supplier Quality Requirements)that are flowed down to suppliers? How do potential or existing supplier conform to these requirements? You can approve them based on having a registered QMS, there overall performance of meeting your requirements (e.g. on-time delivery, quality, cost, etc.)

Hope this helps some........Also, if scroll to the bottom of the page you will find similar threads on this subject.

Attachments

• Supplier Scope Example.xls
    29 KB · Views: 749
Last edited by a moderator:
A

andygr

AS9100 puts you in aerospace and the FAA is really clear in their audits that suppliers must be on ASL listings and that those on the ASL get reviewed on a periodic basis by a criteria you set. Even if you do not deal directly with the FAA it gets flowed down to you from those that do.

Getting someone on your ASL is defined by you. It should be based on the criticality of the product you produce and complexity of the item you are buying.

It even covers distributors of things like fasteners to the specs you mention. In these cases many time you will not be purchasing from the firm that actualy makes the item but only the guys who market it. You have to ensure that they can trace what they send to you back to the original manafacture. Watch out for grey market distributors stick to only those authorized or on QPL's unless you do some incomming inspection to ensure you get what you request.

The FAA is getting uneasy about low cost sourcing activities in aerospace and the materials comming into the market.
:2cents:

M

Msandman

First I want to say thanks for all the input!

If understand everything, basically what it comes down to is, I can put who ever I want on my approved supplier list just as long as it follows what I define? From what I read in the standard, verification MAY include obtaining objective evidence of the quality of the product from suppliers (i.e. C of C); inspection and audit documentation; review of required documentation and delegation of verification to the supplier. It would be OK for me to define MIL-spec hardware suppliers requirements as they send a C of C with all parts and that they have to provide evidence of traceability when applicable?

Standard also states I have to have a criteria for selection and evaluation. If most suppliers have certifications, that's easy. It's the smaller companies that are not certified in some way that I have to justify them as an approved supplier and have some kind of evaluation on file for them. Can approval be based on something as simple as; they have traceability of product, it conforms to my spec or drawing and they can provide a C of C for the finished product? Do I have a separate questionnaire for these suppliers that is not as detailed as a company that has say an ISO certification?

Signed...Thanks for putting up with my ramblings :)

A

andygr

::Standard also states I have to have a criteria for selection and evaluation. If most suppliers have certifications, that's easy. It's the smaller companies that are not certified in some way that I have to justify them as an approved supplier and have some kind of evaluation on file for them. Can approval be based on something as simple as; they have traceability of product, it conforms to my spec or drawing and they can provide a C of C for the finished product? Do I have a separate questionnaire for these suppliers that is not as detailed as a company that has say an ISO certification?::

You would want to know how they manage their system. Based on this review you can determin if you can just accept their C of C or need to implement some level of incomming inspection for key or some amount of the features.
It is typical to have a shortened questionair for distribuitors and such.

:2cents:

Top Bottom