Suggestions for addressing Printed Paper Documents

J

JaimeB

I'm trying to close a possible gap in our document control procedure. Currently, the procedure states "Employees may reference printed documents; however they are required to verify that the printed document is the current and approved version by verifying this information in the PDM (our document management software)" and "Printed copies are marked 'For Reference and Internal Use Only.' While these documents are up-to-date at the time they are printed, there is no effort to maintain the copies after printing."

Now, the real world. Our technicians will frequently print ladder diagrams and take them to the point of use (very far from a PC terminal where the electronic document could be accessed). They mark up the diagrams with notes and changes while they are completing whatever electrical work they are doing. Additionally, it is technically possible (not likely, but possible) that another technician/engineer might make changes to the diagram and release a new version of it without employees using the diagram in the field being notified.

Questions - What is a reasonable way to cover this in our doc control procedure without over-encumbering our technicians with additional steps? I've read that some companies use a "log" to track where paper documents are, but is this the best way? Is the fact that marks/notes are made on the document a problem?

Thank you in advance for your time!

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
I'm trying to close a possible gap in our document control procedure. Currently, the procedure states "Employees may reference printed documents; however they are required to verify that the printed document is the current and approved version by verifying this information in the PDM (our document management software)" and "Printed copies are marked 'For Reference and Internal Use Only.' While these documents are up-to-date at the time they are printed, there is no effort to maintain the copies after printing."

Now, the real world. Our technicians will frequently print ladder diagrams and take them to the point of use (very far from a PC terminal where the electronic document could be accessed). They mark up the diagrams with notes and changes while they are completing whatever electrical work they are doing. Additionally, it is technically possible (not likely, but possible) that another technician/engineer might make changes to the diagram and release a new version of it without employees using the diagram in the field being notified.

Questions - What is a reasonable way to cover this in our doc control procedure without over-encumbering our technicians with additional steps? I've read that some companies use a "log" to track where paper documents are, but is this the best way? Is the fact that marks/notes are made on the document a problem?

Thank you in advance for your time!

Hi Jaime,
how are you?
As to the fact that the engineer could change a document in the meantime the technicians are just using it, it seems to have a very low probability.
For this purpose, did you perform a risk assessment on this potential issue?
How many times did it really happen? Based upon this data and related analysis, you could think to face the risk, for this it is important to have data and study them.
As to the printend document that the technicians use, you could use the clause or statement : "it is valid until the end of today working day" to be stamped automatically on it when they are printed. Clearly it should be printed the date of the printing too.
This clause is called " expiration at sunset ", that is commonly used in the field of the documentation control. Based upon this, the document is valid for only one day, then the technician shall dispose it after the use at the end of the working day. This should be inserted in your documented procedure for document control.
This opportunity could be pursued whether you assess that the risk of making a change on the document by the eng while the document is in use has been esteemed very low.
Besided you can also use communication channel of the daily meeting where the engineer alert supervisor of the technicians and their delegates whether they have in plan to change something in the documentation.
Overall it is all question of good willingness and organization. Also in this way of change management, I think it is needed process approach too.
Hope this helps:bigwave:

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Hi JaimeB,
did you propose this implementation or you pursue another solution?
What about it?

:bigwave:

J

JaimeB

I like the idea of a sunset clause, but I haven't gotten everyone's buy in yet...still working on that!

Thank you for the tips!

Top Bottom