Red Stamped Printed Paper vs. Electronic Documents

Q

QAMTY

HI everybody

Recently when managing Document control regarding "Controlled copy",I got several doubts when using electronic documents.

In our old ISO (1994)we delivered a copy of documents to whoever people need it, then stamped it "Controlled copy" in red color.

That way, only the red stamped copy was valid, any other copy without red stamped was not valid.

Certainly, some years ago printed document usage was very useful

Now we want to use electronic documents, which resid in our intranet, thus eliminating the printing of docs.

One point:

How can we manage the red stamped concept in electronic documents?

Second point:

Also in this case are involved the signatures, are scanned signatures (jpg) inserted into the documents valid? or is better to sign in the paper and scan the document?

Please feed me back in this issue.

Thanks

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Red stamped , electronic?

Easy!! Include a statement in your document control procedure: "All electronically maintained documents are considered approved and controlled."

BTW. Stamps and signatures are not required. The standard does not require them. How you approve documents is your choice.

Stijloor.

Q

QAMTY

Thanks Stijloor

But in the case I give my documents to a supplier in electronic format

But because they work in a workshops, for welders, inspector they have to print documents, in that case, the electronic concept is not valid.

IS not clear for my the concept, for controlled documents or "controlled copy" in the previous case if they printed the documents , then,they are not controlled neither valid?

I´m a little bit confused.

Thanks

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Thanks Stijloor

But because they work in a workshops, for welders, inspector they have to print documents, in that case, the electronic concept is not valid.

IS not clear for my the concept, for controlled documents or "controlled copy" in the previous case if they printed the documents , then,they are not controlled neither valid?

Thanks

You can provide a hard copy of the document with an expiration date printed on the bottom of each page. The document can be issued to be valid for 24 hours, a week, or a month depending how often the document was changed in the past.

Stijloor.

somashekar

Leader
Admin

Thanks Stijloor

Thanks
All the stuff that is accessible to use on the server is the latest controlled copy. Each time the supplier has to be issued anything (along with the purchase order) the officer pulls the relevant stuff from the server and sends across to the supplier. Our PO clearly mentions that the specification sheet attached along with the PO is for the use and every new PO goes with a fresh set of stuff from the server.

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator

Thanks Stijloor

Thanks

Another possibility is to give your supplier a "Project Specification". This would include copies of the version of your work instructions that you want them to follow. It would be a record for you.

Q

QAMTY

THanks somashekar

But I think would be recommended to print
on the documents in reference the expiration date, as Stijloor suggested
does it sound ok the next ?
"Uncontrolled document when printed, unless expiration date is shown"

Thanks

Q

QAMTY

Thanks Pancho

Ok, the documents are provided to suppliers in a project specifocation.
but what should be stated in the document because they will print the electronic document and get a (hardcopy)?
What to observe in the printed document as to validate if is valid or not?
Other point is, normally we release additional revisions, and how do we have control
over these documents ? only by transmittals?

THanks for your help

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator

Thanks Pancho

Ok, the documents are provided to suppliers in a project specifocation.
but what should be stated in the document because they will print the electronic document and get a (hardcopy)?
What to observe in the printed document as to validate if is valid or not?
Other point is, normally we release additional revisions, and how do we have control
over these documents ? only by transmittals?

THanks for your help

Controlling your supplier's work is always tricky. You need (a) good contracts, (b) reliable suppliers and (c) a good procedure to control work performed by others.

Your contract is where you should define how changes will be handled. Specs are an integral part of contracts. A change in specs should normally require a change-order issued by the purchaser and accepted by the supplier. Even with a time and materials contract, a change in the specs should be evidently agreed to by both parties, and this usually means a counter-signed record of the change. So to answer your question, the transmittal would normally not be enough documentation to insure that a change will be executed correctly. Be extra-deliberate when ordering changes as these are a frequent source of disappointing performance and disputes.

And, of course, you should always apply whatever procedure you deem necessary to control the work done by your suppliers in your stead.

Top Bottom