GM's RED X - Supposed to be a simple tool to find Root Cause

E

erica 2005

Hi,

I've heard about a technique that called RED X that is supposed to be a very simple tool to find root cause of problems, it is used by GM (and maybe developed there???) Does anyone have any information on this?

Thanks for your help.

-Erica

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
erica said:
Hi,

I've heard about a technique that called RED X that is supposed to be a very simple tool to find root cause of problems, it is used by GM (and maybe developed there???) Does anyone have any information on this?

Thanks for your help.

-Erica

There's a brief description here (Link is from 2005-Broken in 2020).

Last edited by a moderator:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
From GM Canada's 16th Annual Continuous Improvement Symposium
GM Canada's 16th Annual Continuous Improvement Symposium was held on April 29th, 2004, with over 135 GM employees and 145 suppliers such as Lear, Decoma and A.G. Simpson in attendance. Guest speakers had the opportunity to address the audience and share real incident case studies that resulted in significant quality improvements, and share the methodology used to gain that improvement.

Since the events beginnings as a group of eighty at the Oshawa Car Assembly Plant training room, the symposium continues to grow each year. Representatives from General Motors' plants and administrative areas, as well as a diverse group of suppliers have participated in this event. Although the symposium has become an annual event, it really is a celebration of the continuous improvement process that is carried on every day, resulting in significant quality gains.

Objectives

The Continuous Improvement Symposium is a forum that brings together both GM and GM suppliers with the following objectives:

* Promote the use of common improvement methods and tools
* Increase and share knowledge
* Recognize those using continuous improvement methods
* Forum to network

This year the theme was Design for Six-Sigma and various speakers addressed the audience on this topic. Maryann Combs, GM Canada Director of Engineering and Steve Rose, GM Canada Director of Purchasing & Logistics, gave opening remarks and welcomed the guest speakers and attendees.

Throughout the day both GM employees and suppliers shared their case studies on real life issues that were resolved through continuous improvement methodologies, more specifically, Design for Six Sigma and Red X.

Design for Six Sigma (DSFF)

What is it: A methodology for driving process capable designs that satisfy the customer by identifying and optimizing critical design parameters.

Heart of Methodology: I.D.D.O.V.

I - Identify - identify the project through set criteria

D - Define - define the opportunity through the customer voice and JD Power Results

D - Develop - develop concepts and transfer functions through alternate designs

O - Optimize - optimize the design and balance with conflicting designs

V - Verify - validate results

Objective: The objective of the process is to improve quality, reliability and durability (QRD) on current and future vehicles. GM works with major suppliers within the QRD focus areas.

Red X

What is it - Red X is the GM accepted problem solving methodology that uses engineering skills, common sense and simple statistics to solve technical problems with statistical confidence.

Heart of Methodology: Red X, Green Y, Best of the best (BOB) and worst of the worst (WOW).

Red X - root cause or variable that is causing the greatest amount of variation in the product or process of interest.

Green Y - the failure mode or concern of the customer

Best of the Best (BOB) - best part, assembly or component made in a process as determined by the Green Y

Worst of the Worst (WOW) - worst part, assembly or component made in a process as determined by the Green Y

Objective: Red X statistical engineering identifies a set of tools first used to identify the Red X, and then to monitor the effectiveness of controlling the Red X.

W

wmarhel

Red X

The "Red X" is taken from the Shainin method. It has levels of expertise, but doesn't use "belts" like Six Sigma. All in all, they are pretty tight-lipped about the method. Just try and find some really solid information. It used to be that candidates had to sign all kinds of non-disclosures and such before being trained.

The concept (similiar to the theory of constraints in that there is only "one" true constraint at any one time) is that every process or product has a "Red X" or one critical parameter and if that is controlled, the process should produce acceptable results. It uses terms such as "Best of the Best" or BOBs, "Worst of the Worst" or WOWs. It is largely a Design of Experiments method.

As with any method (Shainin, TQM, Six Sigma, etc.) the ability for it to work depends on the the ability of the person using the method and managements committment to make the necessary changes.

See attached file for some more information. I hope it helps.

Wayne

Attachments

• publication11.pdf
    221.8 KB · Views: 2,528
R

Rob Nix

I remember the red "x" (pink "x" and pale pink "x") method from a class I took in DOE, which included Shainin methods, years ago. I didn't know it had grown so much until I just did a little research. It seems it has grown outside of DOE into general root cause analysis (via GM). The are even people called "Red X"s.

Here's one article of interest I found.

I also noticed that Marc referred to the technique, on March 10, 2000, when acknowledging Shainin's death.

Attachments

• Shainin approach experimental design using a catapult.pdf
    219.1 KB · Views: 2,262
E

erica 2005

Thanks

Thanks for the information - it is quite helpfull.

-Erica

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Odiorne Point said:
check out the web site
I looked at the web site linked to - and didn't see anything related to "Seeking information - GM's RED X - Supposed to be a simple tool to find root cause" ( the thread topic). Can you provide a specific link?

After reviewing your 3 posts, it's obvious you are not interested in helping folks out here by answering questions or discussing topics, but rather your interest is in getting a link to your web site.

I have removed all links to your web site and am sorry that you weren't (aren't?) interested in joining in the discussions here.

L

Larry.Jiang

frankly speaking ,it's a comprehensive tool for solving problem rather than a sample tool .In my opinion there is a little complex.
I think the primary concept is that compare the WOW and BOB ,and find out the deverse then do some test .

WOW:worst of worst
BOB:best of best

I got a training before but I did't understand entirely.

M

masterx

Hello, I have the RED X Master Certification, this technique was developed by Dorian Shainin not by GM, there are several companies that uses this methodology, unfortunately there is few bibliography for reference, one book is: "World Class Quality" using design of experiment to make it happen, Keki R. Bhote & Adi K. Bhote, second edition, AMACOM.

Top Bottom