Measurement Standards Traceable to International or National Measurement Standards

• Thread starter Mario Alberto83
  • Start date
M

Mario Alberto83

Good afternoon everybody

I would be very grateful if anybody helps me manage this topic.

Metrology responsible wants to include in the procedure a requirement for all calibration services suppliers to be certified against ISO 17025.

I wonder if that is adequate, I wonder if there can be suppliers traceable to international or national standards (per AS requirements) that are not certified against ISO 17025.

If so, this update to the procedure would limitate supply sources.

D

dv8shane

Re: Measurement Standards Traceable to International or National Measurement Standard

It is definitely adequate but is it needed? It all depends on how your company defines traceability. To be truly traceable look at the definition in this document http://www.bipm.org/utils/common/documents/jcgm/JCGM_200_2012.pdf. If the lab can provide proof of an unbroken chain of measurements to the International or National Standards with uncertainties to the point of calibration of your unit, it is my opinion they could suffice. I can not remember ever seeing where it said the measurements had to be done by an accredited lab , though most good labs would have their references calibrated to 17025 by an accredited lab any ways. The other thing to look at is cost, from my experience 17025 accredited calibration costs 50%-100% more. Check out the Canadian Fluke service request site for examples of this. If you are doing in house calibration using your standards I would suggest you do require 17025, other wise it is up to what is written what it will cost to change the writing and what extra will it cost. The quality pluses have to be weighed against the costs by you as the customer.

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Measurement Standards Traceable to International or National Measurement Standard

Bear in mind that there is a scope to the (17025) accreditation. So you can't say that just because a company is registered, they are capable of ANY calibration. You also have to confirm that the scope of their accreditation covers your specific calibration needs.

somashekar

Leader
Admin

Good afternoon everybody

I would be very grateful if anybody helps me manage this topic.

Metrology responsible wants to include in the procedure a requirement for all calibration services suppliers to be certified against ISO 17025. <snip>
It is your AS QMS. If you want to tie down yourself feel free, but think before you act. Read the response of yoden at #3 and assess and take a final call.
Are you capable to always meet your own requirement ? Make your fair assessment before inclusion in procedure.
You can always impress upon your calibration agencies to go for ISO17025 certification over time. Think over it and the pro's and con's ~~~

M

Mario Alberto83

I am sorry for the late response, I would like to thank you all for your responses that definitely provided me clear guidance on how to proceed.

I am not experienced in metrology topics, however I feel responsible of having in place a suitable/lean system that will not tie down or negatively impact the operation (as fas as possible). In that secenario I only have my common sense.

The problem is that I am dealing with people who is very used to some particular practices from particular organizations and think that they all are the same.

Getting out from the box is always a skill that not many people delvelop; that is why elsmar is an invaluable site :applause:.

Top Bottom