The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

How to enforce my colleagues to update SOPs?

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
document control, document revisions and changes, employees (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 1st September 2018, 03:24 AM
SelimStan

Total Posts: 1
Please Help! How to enforce my colleagues to update SOPs?

How to enforce my colleagues to update SOPs? as they ignore my and my Manager e-mail and the top management somehow didn't show support!

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 1st September 2018, 08:40 AM
isolytical

Total Posts: 25
Re: How to enforce my colleagues to update SOPs?

what industry?
  Post Number #3  
Old 1st September 2018, 08:54 AM
AndyN

Total Posts: 9,118
Let Me Help You Re: How to enforce my colleagues to update SOPs?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by SelimStan View Post

How to enforce my colleagues to update SOPs? as they ignore my and my Manager e-mail and the top management somehow didn't show support!
That's what you have to change - top management's understanding. You can't force anything.
Thank You to AndyN for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 1st September 2018, 12:59 PM
Sidney Vianna

Total Posts: 9,319

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by SelimStan View Post

Hello SelimStan, I noticed that you registered here 4 years ago and just posted your first question. Congrats on making the jump.

As for your question, we obviously have to make some assumptions, as you have not provided a lot of background information and context concerning the situation.

I suspect that your colleagues don't think it is very important to have up to date SOP's. Why? Hard to tell, but it might be the case they think the SOP's are an unnecessary burden. Many organizations develop and maintain non value added documents. In an attempt to demystify the excessive focus on documentation, the ISO TC 176 has been reducing the emphasis on mandatory documents, for the last 20 years, and, at this stage, the number of minimum mandatory documents from ISO 9001 is very small.

Maybe your colleagues don't have the time to perform the function of updating the SOP's.

Let's remember what SOP's do, in the context of a quality system: they provide the definition of the process/activity to be performed and they capture organizational knowledge as well.

If we were to assume that the SOP's add value to the organization, then, as Andy mentioned, top management should be educated in the perils and risks of allowing for outdated SOP's to exist. If and when top management buys into the idea of process focus, organizational knowledge being captured and managed, etc... they will see the importance of current practices being documented and provide support and resources for process owners to update their respective SOP's. Until that happens, your nagging of colleagues will be perceived as whining and be either ignored or pushed back.

Until the leadership of an organization sees and understands a quality system as an asset, rather than a hindrance, it is impossible for co-workers to force any "external discipline" on to others. Until leadership sees the light, quality and doc control are annoying people for the rest of the company.

Good luck.
Thanks to Sidney Vianna for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #5  
Old 1st September 2018, 06:21 PM
Pancho

Total Posts: 835

Hi SelimStan,

Like with any other NC that merits corrective action, try to find out the root cause.

I’d start with some questions:
  1. Which documents are not being updated? All? Certain processes only?
  2. Even if not updated, Are documents being used for consultation at all? If so, how are differences between worker’s knowledge and documents resolved? Else, why are docs not being consulted? And were the docs ever frequently consulted in the past?
  3. If docs are not consulted, how’s the system producing quality?

In my experience, docs are used 10 to 20 times more for consultation than for editing (read “update” or “improvement”). At the very least, documents should be consulted by new employees and during training. If docs are not consulted, or if they are, but they are then “hand corrected” during training, then there may be accessibility issues. Are the docs available at points of use? If they are, are folks that spot an outdated doc able to update it? Are they expected to do so?

Many accessibility issues are inherent to the implementation of the document control system. Paper-based and shared-folder-based systems are obsolete these days for this reason, and it is misguided to try to maintain such systems when much better software is available. I’d recommend a wiki or dedicated qms software.

I think you have a great opportunity. Effective action to eradicate this NC will no doubt be a great improvement for your organization.
Thanks to Pancho for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >