Identification of Environmental Aspects and Impacts - Aspect and Impact Study

A

ajikkn08

:bonk:Dear All,

I am preparing the organisation for ISO 14001 and OHSAS Certification.We have procedure for hazard identification and risk assessment in place.

But we do not have a procedure for aspect identification and impact assesment etc.
kindly help me with a process for identifying aspect and assessing impact etc.

regards

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Aspect and Impact Study - Identification of Environmental Aspects and Impacts

If you have ISO 14004 (General guidelines on principles,systems and support techniques), refer to Annex A, tables A1 & A2.

N

nimonik

Re: Aspect and Impact Study - Identification of Environmental Aspects and Impacts

Hi,

I do not have a procedure, but I can give you a list of popular aspect, some might or might not apply to your job. From my experience, I have seen a really wide variation in what companies choose as aspects and impacts and that same variation applies to what auditors accept.

Let me know what you think.

Jonathan

Here are about 75 popular aspects.

Plant-wide pollution from all activities
Potential spill of a hazardous material
Potential release of an ODS
Post-consumer disposal of the printed material
Consumption of virgin paper stock
Consumption of energy
Consumption of natural resources
Potential spill of petroleum product
Handling new film processing chemicals
Generation of refuse (non-hazardous waste)
Generation of used production equipment
Generation of waste office paper
Generation of PCB waste
Discharge of storm water
Handling new acid batteries
Generation of used rags
Use of ODS Fire Protection Systems
Generation of waste film development chemicals
Discharge of rinse water (acidity)
Discharge of rinse water (chemical loading)
Generation of waste containers
Generation of waste film
Handling new plate processing chemicals
Generation of waste plate processing chemicals
Generation of waste aluminium plates
Generation of fugitive VOC emissions
Generation of greenhouse gases
Generation of combustion emissions
Handling new silicone
Generation of waste silicone
Handling new fountain solution
Generation of waste fountain solution
Handling new ink
Generation of used ink
Generation of waste ink containers
Handling new varnish
Generation of waste varnish
Generation of waste cardboard web cores
Generation of production waste paper
Generation of particulate matter emissions
Handling new solvent
Generation of waste solvent
Generation of solvent-soaked rags
Use of ODS Refrigerants
Generation of waste ODS
Handling new oil
Generation of used oil
Generation of oily rags
Handling new glue
Generation of waste glue
Generation of post-consumer waste paper
Generation of waste cardboard
Generation of waste plastic wrap
Generation of waste transport pallets
Generation of waste acid batteries
Generation of waste multi-purpose batteries
Generation of waste fluorescent light bulbs
Discharge of sanitary water
Discharge of wastewater
Potential release of a pesticide
Generation of asbestos dust
Generation of waste paint
Generation of combustion contaminants
Generation of used equipment and computers

S

samsung

:bonk:Dear All,

I am preparing the organisation for ISO 14001 and OHSAS Certification.We have procedure for hazard identification and risk assessment in place.

But we do not have a procedure for aspect identification and impact assesment etc.
kindly help me with a process for identifying aspect and assessing impact etc.

regards

In addition to what others have quoted, you may list out all the activities (however trivial they may be) carried out at or around the workplace. You may alternatively use the same list that you might have generated while doing Hazard identification. Look for the environmental aspects of each of the activities and determine their significance. Means how the outcomes of each of these activities interact with the environment to affect it negatively. Now, refer to the applicable environmental laws to know if any of the activities identified is regulated under the law. All the aspects relating to the regulated activities should invariably be 'significant'. Now document them and determine the significance level, devise controls (most of them can be found in the law itself) and monitor them. All the activities associated with 'significant' aspects must be operated in 'controlled' manner.

ISO 14004 is an excellent guide for further reference. You must have a copy of it.

minrah

Involved In Discussions

Hi everyone,

I was listing done Aspects and Hazards that could arise from all of our activities.
Can anyone help me by stating the Aspects and Hazards for Storage of Raw Material in Stores. :(

Thanx.:thanx:

S

samsung

Hi everyone,

I was listing done Aspects and Hazards that could arise from all of our activities.
Can anyone help me by stating the Aspects and Hazards for Storage of Raw Material in Stores. :(

Thanx.:thanx:

Can you precisely let us know what kind of raw material you have in stores; means hazardous (corrosive, explosive, reactive, toxic, flammable and the like), non-hazardous or others?

minrah

Involved In Discussions

Can you precisely let us know what kind of raw material you have in stores; means hazardous (corrosive, explosive, reactive, toxic, flammable and the like), non-hazardous or others?

We are an Electronic Manufacturing company, engaged in manufacturing of Auto-electronic products for Automotive industries. Our Raw-Material includes Wires, Terminals, Connectors, PCBs, Electronic Components, Rubber Components, Plastic Components, Epoxy material (Resin & Hardner), Solder metal bars, Flux and Thinner.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin

We are an Electronic Manufacturing company, engaged in manufacturing of Auto-electronic products for Automotive industries. Our Raw-Material includes Wires, Terminals, Connectors, PCBs, Electronic Components, Rubber Components, Plastic Components, Epoxy material (Resin & Hardner), Solder metal bars, Flux and Thinner.
Aside from lead content in components and boards I would suggest looking up the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for chemicals like resin, flux, thinner and so on. The MSDS can give guidance as to the aspect's environmental impact based on the theory that what is bad for human life is also bad for the environment humans live in.

A "quick and dirty" help source is NFPA 704 which is a chemical hazard symbol. Its diamond shape lists the basic type of hazard (fire, health, instability and "special") and the degree of hazard, 0 being least and 4 being greatest.

S

samsung

Jennifer has given very good guidance on identifying the aspects. I would just add that based on the information provided by you, the most important hazard that I can foresee is 'fire' since most of the items listed are combustible in nature. Now in case a fire takes place, it may result into emission of smoke, SPM, gaseous HCl, HF & HBr (due to burning of PVC insulation & fluoro-bromo polymers), SO2, NO2, Hydrogen cyanide, etc. in addition to the decomposition products resulting from incineration; all together or individually may pose risk to environment and as such you should identify and manage the risk through your Emergency Preparedness program.

Apart from the above, you may also consider the environment aspects of e-waste (both electrical & electronic) that might be returned to stores for further disposal in accordance with applicable regulations.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom