Taguchi Design with 6 levels and 3 factors in Minitab

Y

yz_rain

Hi, I am going to design an experiment with 6 levels and 3 factors. I did not found any button in Minitab which has 6 levels. I wonder how can I access to it. I want to get the the number of experiments that I am going to take, cuz if I carry out all the experiment, that would be too much. Thank you.

D

DRAMMAN

Why do 6 levels? That seems like a lott. Minitab likely does not have that many levels because that many is usually not needed. Maybe provide a summary of the problem you are trying to solve.

Y

yz_rain

My case is that I have three factors, let's say A,B,C. Originally, I want to have three levels for A, two levels for B, and three levels for C. But I feel this levels are not enough with providing data. So I extended the levels to be 6. The thing is the level in my case is example with provide data for A,B,C. What do you think of my case? Thank you.

D

DRAMMAN

You are still vague on the details. 6 Levels seems like way too many. Usually, you rarely need more than 2 levels for each factor. I rarely find 3 levels necessary. Give it some time for others to repy.

Y

yz_rain

Yes, sure. But could you tell me what do you understand of level? Do you think that is the example with data?

D

DRAMMAN

The Levels are the factor values in your experiment. In Taguchi design you usually have a Low and High Level. Sometimes a 3rd mid value could be usefull but all my mentors always advised against it due ot the increased compelxity for little decision making value. To have 6 levels for a singe factor is too many in my opinion..

Y

yz_rain

Nope, there is my first time of trying use it. My originally number of experiment will be too much. So I decided to use this method to reduce the number of experiment.

D

DRAMMAN

Have you had any training in DOE? If I remember it correctly you will have alott of experiments with 3 factors x 6 levels

6*6*6=216 experiments. It is not 6*3=18

If you had 2 levels it is 2*2*2=8 experiments

Y

yz_rain

Have you had any training in DOE? If I remember it correctly you will have alott of experiments with 3 factors x 6 levels

6*6*6=216 experiments. It is not 6*3=18

If you had 2 levels it is 2*2*2=8 experiments
Yes, that is why I want to use Taguchi design to reduce the number of experiment. I actually just have basic understand of this method. I got to know that Taguchi method could help to reduce the experiment running time, but it will achieve the same results as running all experiment.

Top Bottom