The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Procedure vs. Work Instruction (WI) - What is the difference? - Page 6

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Standards Organization - ISO Standards and Information

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags (Not all threads are Tagged)
definitions, sop (standard operating procedure), work instructions (wi), policies and policy statements, procedures (general), differences (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #41  
Old 30th September 2011, 03:06 AM
jadejes

Total Posts: 7
Re: Procedure vs. Work Instruction (WI) - What is the difference?

"a procedure is a document describing the processes of an organization.It is written with a general overview of what will be done and who will be responsible for making sure it is being done while a work instruction is a document describing a specific activity or task within the organization. It contains the greatest amount of detail."

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #42  
Old 30th September 2011, 03:14 AM
jadejes

Total Posts: 7

hi Mr. Collin,
i am just confused regarding procedures: general procedures or procedure manual, what do you think is the correct term or difference of the two? Is it possible that a company established a work instructions without the general procedure?For example, in a certain department, all documents established are work instructions without any general procedure?
Sponsored Links

Post Number #43  
Old 30th September 2011, 03:47 AM
Xjopsong

Total Posts: 5

As a guide to differentiate the two, a procedure is inter-departmental while a WI is intra-departmental.

Huang
Thanks to Xjopsong for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #44  
Old 1st October 2011, 02:22 PM
vanputten

Total Posts: 1,068

I disagree that a procedure is always inter-departmental. The input to a procedure can come from within the same department.

Actually, I think the definition of procedure and work instruction has little to do with departments. They have a lot to do with work flow, value streams, etc.

Depending on what one means about "detail", a work instruction can have tremendous detail where as a procedure may not. A procedure may have more information than a work instruction but less detail. A work instrucution on how to set up a machine may have a lot of details.

I agree with Bill Goss. I am not sure if it is necessary to define these terms to a really specific degree. The key is to have the appropriate information at the necessary points of use.
Thank You to vanputten for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #45  
Old 1st October 2011, 03:20 PM
Colin

Total Posts: 1,478

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by jadejes View Post

hi Mr. Collin,
i am just confused regarding procedures: general procedures or procedure manual, what do you think is the correct term or difference of the two? Is it possible that a company established a work instructions without the general procedure?For example, in a certain department, all documents established are work instructions without any general procedure?
I think the only reason for referring to a 'procedure manual' is because companies put them together in a file or folder - don't worry about the name, it isn't important really.

Sure, you can have work instructions without documented procedures - you may have a competent person operating a machine so s/he doesn't need a documented procedure to do so but they may have instructions for setting the machine like temperatures, pressures, etc.
  Post Number #46  
Old 24th February 2012, 09:54 AM
Makeal

Total Posts: 1

This thread sure cleared the difference for me.

Well actually it filled my head with new questions, but that's life I guess :P
  Post Number #47  
Old 24th February 2012, 10:07 AM
AndyN

Total Posts: 8,459
Thumbs up Re: Procedure vs. Work Instruction (WI) - What is the difference?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Makeal View Post

This thread sure cleared the difference for me.

Well actually it filled my head with new questions, but that's life I guess :P
So, welcome, and please feel free to ask for answers!
  Post Number #48  
Old 24th February 2012, 12:32 PM
goodnede

Total Posts: 44

It is interesting to me that it was stated that you can have a work instruction with out a top level procedure for it. My management absolutely will not have that. If there is a WI on anything it has to be referenced in a procedure. The logic is how will someone know it is there if their procedure doesn't "point" them to it.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates