The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

How do you decide what is a Process, a Procedure or Work Instruction?

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Standards Organization - ISO Standards and Information

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags (Not all threads are Tagged)
work instructions (wi), definitions, procedures (general), processes (general), differences (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 2nd March 2007, 03:37 PM
plastic

Total Posts: 5
Question How do you decide what is a Process, a Procedure or Work Instruction?

How do you decide what is a process, procedure or work instruction? I am in charge of moving my company from QS 9000 to TS 16949 and I am having trouble knowing where to start, as far as the Manual (can that be just a restatement of the standard with my organization's name in it), Procedures (I know there are 7 required), Processes and Work Instructions. I am feeling the pressure and would appreciate all the help I can get. Also, can I use most of our QS procedures since I feel they still apply.

Thanks,
P

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 2nd March 2007, 03:53 PM
Jrich

Total Posts: 10
Re: Procedure, Process, or Work Instruction????

Here is what I know and what we did:

Use you QS Procedures as much as possible. Update them to cover any changes in TS. Basically for us they are a re-itteration of the TS spec with a little detail on how.

Processes - You need to define these for your organization. I believe there are 10 recommended (Market Analysis, Bid Tender, Order Request, Process/Product Verification and Validation, Manufacturing Provisions, Product/Process Design, Delivery, Payment, Post Sales Customer Feedback, and Warranty). There are Six Characteristics to each (Owner, Inputs, Defined Process - ususally a process flow, Outputs, Links, and Measurables).

Work Instructions are where you provide the detail of how things get done. Use your QS ones and Update as required.

You should do a Gap Analysis to see what you are missing.

Good Luck.
Jason
Thank You to Jrich for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 2nd March 2007, 04:33 PM
Jim Wynne

Total Posts: 14,160

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by plastic View Post

How do you decide what is a process, procedure or work instruction? I am in charge of moving my company from QS 9000 to TS 16949 and I am having trouble knowing where to start, as far as the Manual (can that be just a restatement of the standard with my organization's name in it), Procedures (I know there are 7 required), Processes and Work Instructions. I am feeling the pressure and would appreciate all the help I can get. Also, can I use most of our QS procedures since I feel they still apply.

Thanks,
P
Welcome to the Cove, Plastic.

Depending on what you're referring to, "procedure" can refer to a document or it can be synonymous with "process." The standard refers to "documented procedures," which means "documented processes." You must, for example, have processes for preventive and corrective action, and those processes must be documented. You might call the document a procedure, or a work instruction, or some name you invent yourself. It doesn't matter, so long as there's a process and the process is documented.
Thank You to Jim Wynne for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 2nd March 2007, 11:04 PM
fireonce

Total Posts: 189

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Jrich View Post

Here is what I know and what we did:

Use you QS Procedures as much as possible. Update them to cover any changes in TS. Basically for us they are a re-itteration of the TS spec with a little detail on how.

Processes - You need to define these for your organization. I believe there are 10 recommended (Market Analysis, Bid Tender, Order Request, Process/Product Verification and Validation, Manufacturing Provisions, Product/Process Design, Delivery, Payment, Post Sales Customer Feedback, and Warranty). There are Six Characteristics to each (Owner, Inputs, Defined Process - ususally a process flow, Outputs, Links, and Measurables).

Work Instructions are where you provide the detail of how things get done. Use your QS ones and Update as required.

You should do a Gap Analysis to see what you are missing.

Good Luck.
Jason
You are very professional!
  Post Number #5  
Old 4th March 2007, 09:05 AM
fuzzy

Total Posts: 200
Let Me Help You Re: How do you decide what is a process, procedure or work instruction?

Quote:

Thanks,
P
Welcome to the Cove, Plastic! Just wanted to comment on your question regarding the Quality Manual. For the record, under both ISO and TS the manual is not, repeat NOT, a word for word restatement of the standard. Those days are gone. Thank you Lord . Please do a search in first the TS and then ISO forums on "Quality manual" and I know you will aquire information on the freedom you will have in constructing your unique Quality Manual. Good luck!
Thank You to fuzzy for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #6  
Old 4th March 2007, 10:20 AM
Jen Kirley

Total Posts: 5,992
Re: How do you decide what is a process, procedure or work instruction?

Good advice so far.

In doing a search you may find a list of threads that will contain a lot of information.

Look through the titles and first seek out the threads that seem to best apply, like this one. Work Instructions - What are the Requirements for Work Instructions?

Documentation is a big subject so I encourage you to take your time in learning it.
Thank You to Jen Kirley for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #7  
Old 4th March 2007, 11:37 AM
Antonio Vieira

Total Posts: 462
Thumbs up Re: How do you decide what is a process, procedure or work instruction?

For defining what's processes I use Michael Porter's approach of "Value chain".
Of course we can write procedures or work instructions to manage these processes...
For other subjects that are out of this "value chain", but are still organization activities, I use to right specifications or procedures, but don't consider them as processes.
  Post Number #8  
Old 6th March 2007, 05:02 AM
hmisra

Total Posts: 7
Re: How do you decide what is a process, procedure or work instruction?

Quote:

Thanks,
P
Sir,
In my view we define process as a name of an activity e.g purchasing, delivery, enquiry handling etc. WE can say purchasing as a process and can define its six element i.e input, output, competence, infrastructure, methods, required to run this process and lastly the performance indicators of the process i.e to judge whether your process is running efficiently.

Procedure is what we can define the methods how the purchasing activity is being carried out in the organization. And work instructions is again more or less same as procedures which define how the activity is to be carried out.

Thanks,
Thanks to hmisra for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates